Pre WWI or Saxon child's artillery helmet or Baden? 1890s

collectibleme

Hoping I can tap into your expertise. Wondering a few things about this helmet -I have tried online and at our local library and two fellas online told me conflicting origins....so I'm trying you folks that have a lot of interest in pickelhaube helmets.
The kockades are:
white on the outside metal rim, green in the middle and then white under the metal chin strap holder.
On the opposite side it appears it originally had traces of red on the outside metal rim, white in the middle and red under the metal chin strap holder.
Does this signify the origin of the person issued to and the army they were in? What locations would those be?
The writing on the front says as best I can make out:
MD or some letter and W or INW in the far left corner (upper)
12 AR - (I think the first) or 12.1R
farther right in a box it says 1891 or 1894 – is this the manufactured date? and do you believe it to be 1894 or 91? is that a pattern date? One person suggested it was a pattern from 1871.
This part is real faint possibly Zeb lll or Rebelll
The back has a light imprint of 55.5 which I assume is the size, but such a small size –was a soldier that small or was this made for a child? Why would they make a helmet for a child? Were they inlisted so young, or in military school, or a child given it as a gift from a enlisted soldier or what would cause a helmet to be so small and is that unusual?
I am interested in a opinion on the chin straps. The one there in full length is 7 ¼ from top to the protruding metal part of the clasp. If I should replace them I’d like to use ones of the same age if you think that’s wise. What would be the cost normally for this, and should I replace both or just the one. Would that devalue the helmet?

How would I get this authenticated, who could do it, and what would something like that cost?

Germanns Fres is on the inside paper label inside the hat..what would have been on the rest?

Ghosang on the brass under rim of the front visor..is that the helmet maker and from what country was that?

The other thing that’s confusing to me is the spike portion. I read they didn’t detach until around 1915, however this has only 2 vent holes, which I think makes it older and it does screw off the top. Is that correct for its age?

Thank you in advance for your time, I know your time is valuable. I have never seen one of these and very excited about it!!!

Hi

Lucky you, that's an original 1871 pattern kugelhelm worn by a cannonier in the 12th Saxon Field Artillery Regiment. It just needs a little TLC to put humpty-dumpty back to sorts again.

Interesting that the spike base has been moved to place the ventilator hole front to back rather than side to side. This is a small modification I've noted on a number of early helmets with only two ventilator holes. Likely doing so gave the soldier a much better flow of air through the ventilator holes, at least that's my guess as to why.

Looks like a pretty solid helmet...a good source of further information ( in addition to this site of course) would be Tony's site, Kaiser's Bunker. com.

Good Luck in your collecting endeavors..

Larmo

1871 pattern kugelhelm worn by a cannonier in the 12th Saxon Field Artillery Regiment is GREAT information and the other too.

I guess I don't know what a 1871 pattern means though. Did they start making them then and just continued into the 1890's with the same basic helmet? Why are so many having silver and mine has all brass? Is that an officer and a non-officer?

:-k I've been trying with my glasses and a magnifying glass to get it right, but that's mighty small print on the rim...well anyway that was our families best guess. I saw the name Osang in some of the reference material and kinda wondered if we could be that far off.
Thank you for leading the blind....haha.

Back