Prickly Situation

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
So you think that you are some hot shot restoration guy eh?? Why do I take on these projects??? The hours of work involved in this plus the bood shed as I hand stitch my way around this filz helme prooves that I need some extra medication. This is how you install a new repro liner into a Bavarian filz helme. Of course, before this you had to get the right type of leather from Califorina, cut out the liner, dye both sides and remove all old thread from the stitch holes. Why do I do this? Certainly not for the money invloved!! Brian

LoganSwimLesson0031.jpg

Brian- you do it because you can, and most of the rest of us do not have the talent!!!

Let us know how it looks when you are done!

James

Thanks James. I will show you guys the finished product. This is the first filz helme installation that I have done. I have to think on these things for awhile, figure it out and then go to it. I have been putting this one off for awhile and got at it today. There will be about 2 inches cut off the end of the liner before I stitch the 2 ends together. The leather helmes are much easier. Brian

Hi Brian: I have used the same method to replace liners in several helmets. You are exactly correct about the felt helmets being much more difficult than leather ones. One thing I learned the hard way is that the stitches are much more prone to "pull through" in felt than leather. When making each double saddle stitch I had to concentrate on applying gentle pressure to tighten the stitches. A lot of work but it can be good therapy. As for blood letting, without a doubt. I used to figure on at least 10 needle sticks per helmet.

Reservist1

OK, As promised here is the finished product:

Bavarianfilzhelme3.jpg

R1 you know your needle pricks!! The tips of my index and second fingers are all chewed up and I even managed to stab my thumb twice. I did not have the problem of the thread pulling through the felt but it did break 3 times as I stitched around. Because they used thread that blended in with the feldgrau on the originals I had to use ordinary cotton sewing thread. This was the most challenging re stitch that I have done. For anyone trying this, make your crease in the edge of the liner before hand by wetting the leather and folding it over a long piece of flat steel. Apply pressure and let dry. This gives you a crease to stitch into. When finished, I also sprayed water on the inside (flesh side) of the liner along the crease folded it back into place and put it on a tight head form. This gave me the nice crisp fold around the edge of the shell. You will also see 2 rows of stitching on the overlaping ends of the liner. I did this just to set things into place after wetting it the last time. The extra row of stitches was removed before mailing to the client. Not for the faint of heart!! Brian

Brian, you make, hands-down, the best replacement liners I have ever seen.

I know the work involved so I think you are nuts :tard: for the low price you charge, but that is a different topic.

Your work is so good though, that have you thought about a ink stamp of some sort for the underside marking it as a replacement? Something like a big black stamp BAP for Bekleidungsamt Pickelhaubes.com?

Thanks T and R1, praise from people who have been there always is just a little bit sweeter. Price wise, I did get burned on this one but I learned from it. I had never done one before and had to figure out what had to be done before I started. The BAP might be an idea T. I do not want anyone to get burned on these. I hope the next one that comes my way is just a good old M15 with loose visors! Brian

Brian- Fantastic work! I envy you and your talent!

I could probably scare up a M15 or 2 that you can restich if you are dying to do it!

Way to go.....

James

Back