Project Raupenhelm

Gents,

Initially I bought this 'barn find' to analyze its Raupe, and to make one for my M 1868 Infanterie Unteroffizier (see the thread: "Santa, please bring me a Raupe for X Mas").

As you can see all metal parts where completely oxidised, and the helmet was in a pretty bad shape. But is was complete, but for the "Huppenrohr" and the Wappen:

So I decided to try to restore it. First, I cleaned the metal parts with ammonia and water, and a smooth abrasive paper, and sprayed it with laquer to prevent any further corrosion:

Then I cleaned the helmet and tried to polish it with shoe cream, but I was not pleased with the result:

So after consulting Brian, I decided to have a go on a whole new shellac layer. I was lucky to find it in black finish in ready to apply bottles. I stripped the whole shell, now more resembling a worn football:

This is the shell after applying several layers of shellac. As I did not want a too shiny finish, I roughed it up with steel wool:

I was lucky to find a suitable "Huppenrohr" on the Bay, although it cost me almost as much as the helmet, but thats the way it goes if you dearly need a part...

After consulting some literature, I decided to provide it with a red plume, thus making it a Train Abteilung! the base is messing:

Here's the final result, after fitting a suitable Wappen, and giving the Raupe a new woolen skin:

What do you think of the result? As I have a couple more Raupenhelmets, I'm thinking of selling it. If anyone is interested, send me a message!

Marcel

Thanks for your comment and compliments gentlemen!

Two photo's of the group: form left to right
- M 1868 Unteroffizier der Chevaulegers;
- M 1868 Unteroffizier der Infanterie;
- M 1868 Mannschaften Train Abteilung.

Regards
Marcel

That is really a remarkable transformation, you saved that old raupenhelm..good job. Nice group photo too, :thumb up:

Was very wel wurth it to restore, the helmet came out more than beautyfull ,you cant even see the diffrence with those other helmets
Did you keep that old raupeor trew it out .its great to 'look inside' sutch a raupe for knowing how these were made and what the 'stuffing 'is made off

Very nice restoring job you made :bravo:

Jonas

Back