Prussian Dragoon Reserve Officer

glenn66

1880-1890 Prussian Dragoon Reserve Officer posted previously on the main forum but IMO deserving of a thread in this sub-forum. An ebay purchase that came with the original carry case. I am drawn to the cruciform spike base and the quality of the wappen.

[/quote]

That looks to be an early helmet, possibly an M1871? It has the right shape and the lower spike, with wide fat chinscales that I like. Plus it has the pre 1867 or 1871 (pick one) early ribbed ring Kokarde. It's a beautiful example of a Dragoner officer. Nicely done Glenn. Curious what the interior looks like.

A very attractive pickelhaube and as Tony I'm also curious to see the inside of course :-" ...

Adler

Tony without Kaiser said:
Curious what the interior looks like.

Of course. I was of the impression that the liner is a typical 1890-ish style given the square edge to the liner teeth? Would be nice to know the helmet is indeed of an earlier vintage if that can be confirmed.

The first image highlights the popped stitching on the rear visor, something I have as yet, been unwilling to tackle despite the wonderful threads in the restoration forum.

Beautiful early-type helmet. Dragoner helmets retained their distinctive shape through successive generations though, and besides the shorter spike and liner this one is not that different from a later WW1 model.
Thank you for posting these nice new pictures.

Glenn, for a comparison, the helmet below is of the same type as yours. The liner is identical to yours. I would date it back to the 1880's but Tony may be right: it may be an even earlier model.

Back