Prussian Dragoon?????

Hi Alan et all. I was just looking at this. Apart from the obvious re. dragoon, is'nt that guard star somewhat crudely fashioned or is it the fuzzy photo's. Also those 'scales have been off at sometime. I'm always wary of overtly naieve descriptions. I wonder if the reverse mounted 'scales is a ruse to that effect. God knows ebay makes you paranoid!

Hi King:

It looks like a Prussian Garde infantry officer's helmet in prime shape to me. I know I'd like to own one.

Chas.

Yeah, this does look kind of pukka on second glance. I might try to get some more pics of this. The inside looks good to me so far as one can see. I was gonna keep this one to myself :twisted: but now the king is on to it - blast it. :wink: I hate to think what the reserve is. :(

spikeymikey said:
is'nt that guard star somewhat crudely fashioned or is it the fuzzy photo's.

Hi Mike:

The photos certainly don't help, but I think the star is a good one. I don't believe it's far fetched for the scales to rotate 180º (after all, they would have to drop 90º to be worn). Perhaps the seller just wanted to show off the Wappen to good advantage. Two replacement star retainers would complete the package.

However, eBay is legitimate cause for paranoia

Chas.

spikeymikey said:
I was gonna keep this one to myself :twisted: but now the king is on to it - blast it. :wink: I hate to think what the reserve is. :(
Actually Mike, upon further review, I take it all back. That helmet is absolute !

Stay away! Stay away! A fool and his money are soon parted!

Chas. :roll:

If the only problems found are the reversed chinscales and 2 missing stars, it looks like a legit helmet to me. If I were going to bid on it, I would make sure there are no "extra" holes in the shell, and the existing holes are wider than a typical prussian eagle. Also make sure the white enamel ring on the star is intact. Is there something else I'm missing?

Dave

Serious Chas? I reckon Pukka but you say "Puke-a". I'm confused now! This'll go for an arm 'n a leg anyhow so why am I bothering. Nice to dream.

Hi Mike; Hi Dave:

I'm just messing with you to discourage competing bids. Oh well, the ruse could not last for long. I'm flattered you think I possess preternatural insight about these things (when the truth is I'm just an occasionally gifted bumbler).

Chas. :lol:

Hi Guys, the photo's I got sent reveal what looks to me like a genuine piece. However it looks like the back seam has been glued at some time. I saw it with the plate and the spike off and all looks genuine - no extra holes and some script inside. Proper nuts and strong imprint of the plate. Rear of star looks a bit messy though.

Check him out for more.

Cheers chaps.

Greetings Everyone,
I have just returned from a Thanksgiving vacation to find this on E-bay. It looked good to me so I fired off my standard request for additional pictures of the back of the helmet plate. The holes have been enlarged on the helmet shell and there is a very large hole in the eagle's breast of one inch or more. Very crudely cut with additional holes to receive the split prong retainers for the Guarde star. The bolt retainers may have been re-soldered but can't say for sure. When you see additional holes on the reverse of a helmet plate with no obvious purpose it sends up the red flags. Sorry Chas we should pass on this and save our money for another day. Bill

Hi Bill:

Thanks for the sound evaluation. Would you mind forwarding the pictures? Please let me know if you don't have my current e-mail address.

It's a relief to have a nagging temptation removed by a sane opinion.

Chas.

Hello Bill. I got further pictures from the seller today and can see the rear of the star fixing better. I thought it looked messy and I see what you mean about that hole and fixings. Did you see the rear seam inside the skull - is it glue? It looks equally messy to me.

I think you're right - leave well alone. It may be interesting to see what it fetches though.

Back