Prussian EM 1914. Can anyone tell me more please?

El Cid

Hello, I picked this up about 9 years ago just after my first child was born. He is now 10 and interested in my militaria collection. However the truth is I know its a Prussian pickelhaube and little else. To my knowledge its never been tampered with or restored in any way.
Could you good folks help enlighten my son and I? Its marked size 60cm but the actual size is now about 57.5 cm

Many Thanks

El Cid

A beautiful helmet, not been messed with. Seems marked to IR21, 5th company.
Very nice original piece. :bravo:

Greetings, Coert :thumb up:

A uncommon regiment because it was in the former West Preussen, the garison was in the place of Thorn, on the Weichsel. The IR 21 fought in the East form 1914 up to the beginning of 1918. So it is difficult to find an helmet from this regiment.
I would have some doubt about the Reichkokarde.

If the kokard is repainted , that is no problem . The I R 21 markings are what count .It is nice to have
a well marked issued helmet to a regiment .Nice helmet .
Steve McFarland

Thanks a lot guys very interesting, I wasn't sure about the IR 21 so thanks for clearing that up. Very interesting that these guys fought in the east Steve, were they the "Von Borcke" or is that the 21st Division, this has confused me a bit? Also did they transfer west for the ill-fated spring offensive?

The Kokard may be repainted but if so I think a very long time ago.

Regarding the Reichkokarde, I wouldn't know, here's more detailed pictures

View attachment 1

Welcome Cid great to see you posting here. My opinion on the Kockarden are that they are originals which have been repainted. The white circles for sure as you can see a waviness to the paint... they should be crisp. The red colour on the Reichs kokarde looks off too but that could just be lighting conditions. The originals have an orange tint to the red. We also have a kokade section in the "pickelhaube discussion" area where you can see pictures of originals. BTW, this is a model 1895 pickelhaube (M95).

You are right, Infanterie-Regiment von Borcke ( 4. Pommersches) Nr 21.
Garnison: Thorn.

From: Handbuch der Verbände und truppen des Deutschen Heeres 1914-1918.
Infanterie, Band 1.
Verlag Militaria, ISBN978-3-902526-14-4.
If you want I can put the whole text here, but it only speaks about it's forming and additions, not the front they were active.

Greetings, Coert :)

More info on IR 21 here:
http://genwiki.genealogy.net/IR_21
At the bottom you can see where they were active during WW1.
Have a nice reading, hope you can understand German though!

Also, I agree with Brian, your kokarden look original to me, just repainted at some time.

Greetings, Coert. :thumb up:

Thank you for the wealth of information guys, fantastic, much appreciated. My son Arthur and I have a whole new understanding of this helmet.

Cheers

Craig =D>

Back