Prussian Ersatz painted Cuirassier helmet

This looks like an original model 1915 Kurassier metalhelm, though it has a coat of grey paint. The outer paint looks like it may be original, perhaps to reduce glare. It looks like a really nice original piece.

This looks like an original model 1915 Kurassier metalhelm, though it has a coat of grey paint. The outer paint looks like it may be original, perhaps to reduce glare. It looks like a really nice original piece.
yes, they painted it Field grey/green, hard to find helmet.

Was there really a felt version of metal helmets? I saw one but I haven’t read about those helmets.

I have only seen two felt Calvary Helmets in my lifetime which is a long time LOL. On the ones I've seen only the body is made of a reinforced felt and its assembled just like a steel helmet, its very unique I'd have to think not many were made and fewer remain. The consensus is that they were only made on a trial bases ( see attached photos )

stacks-image-dd0f4c1.jpgstacks-image-6c6e537.jpgstacks-image-56bd6b2.jpgstacks-image-5e758c3.jpgstacks-image-b401788.jpgstacks-image-ac6efe1.jpgstacks-image-edfd83a.jpgstacks-image-793ea15.jpg

I have only seen two felt Calvary Helmets in my lifetime which is a long time LOL. On the ones I've seen only the body is made of a reinforced felt and its assembled just like a steel helmet, its very unique I'd have to think not many were made and fewer remain. The consensus is that they were only made on a trial bases ( see attached photos )

View attachment 36449View attachment 36450View attachment 36451View attachment 36453View attachment 36454View attachment 36455View attachment 36456View attachment 36457
In addition to being a scarce helmet, the spike looks different than others I have seen. There appears to be remnants of grey paint on the brass trim in some of these photos. It's also interesting to see the Saxon cockade and front wappen on a cuirassier-type lobstertail-style helmet.

James:

Great looking wartime, "been there" helmet. These are very hard to find as I'm sure you know.

My guess is that a lot of these wartime painted helmets had the Feldgrau scraped off, because for some reason people think these cavalry helmets look "cooler" in the pre-war steel/brass/tombak finishes.

James:

Great looking wartime, "been there" helmet. These are very hard to find as I'm sure you know.

My guess is that a lot of these wartime painted helmets had the Feldgrau scraped off, because for some reason people think these cavalry helmets look "cooler" in the pre-war steel/brass/tombak finishes.
Steve, you are correct with the addition that they also painted the helmet shells black, gold, and silver, then covered the fittings in any of those three colors as well. And that's not counting the people that thought it would be cool to chrome or nickel plate a helmet and gold plate the fittings. Cleaning up these helmets and restoring them as close to original condition as I can is a fun passtime for now.

It's also interesting to see the Saxon cockade and front wappen on a cuirassier-type lobstertail-style helmet
Saxon „Garde-Reiter“ wore lobster helmets, so it should show one of those, I guess.

Back