Prussian Felt Helmet

MG34NZ

Here's the latest addition,Prussian felt Pickelhaube,its in very nice condition but as with many felt helmets I have seen the liner has fallen out. No markings apparent to interior.

Regards

MG34NZ
pics031d.jpg

pics030.jpg

pics029a.jpg

pics031d.jpg

Congratulations, a very nice piece in excellent condition. One thing, you have the kokarden reversed.....Prussian over the left ear, Reichs on the right. As you say, common to have the liner gone. Threads rot and pull easily out of the felt.

Thanks Gents,I appreciate your opinions,Will swap the kokarden around when I have a minute,I was in a rush to photograph the helmet so the pics show it fresh out of the box.
Gus I have had the Mutze for years,Its nice and has good markings.I think it may be artillery?

Regards
Andrew

Thanks Tony,I have a pic of the interior of the mutze,also the pickelhaube while I was at it

pics032.jpg
pics033x.jpg

Regards

Andrew

I love the latest shot of the interior with the threads hanging down. Unlike leather haube liners the felt liner is simply tack stitched around the rim. The gaps between the threads show how this was done. There were no thread stitches between what we see here. Another excellent quality about this helmet is that it is not torn anwhere that I can see, especially on this model where there is no visor trim. Great piece!

thanks for the positive comments Guys, Brian there are no tears in the helmet as you observed.I guess its one of the lucky ones that was well stored and not handled to often over the years.
I must admit I was almost doubting its originality when I first spotted it due to the good condition.

Andrew

I just had a thought, the Kockarden are probably on the right side, we must remember that the photos came from the southern Hemisphere, where everything is upsidedown, and when it is turned rightside up, them it would be backward.
Several years ago, I picked up my Filts helm, I got it rather cheap, b4ecause I figured it had to be a fake, as the helmet was in such good condition, and the liner looked like new. I bought it for the Überzug that was on it, hoping it might be real. It turned out that they were both good, so that would explain why I am still grinning like an idiot.
Best
Gus

Great piece Andrew... and the strap looks in great condition. I still didn't recover from looking at your MG34 pics and I can imagine the one you kept isn't far left or right... 8-[

Gus, you're probably right about your down under theory... :)

Yes Andrew, tears in your model of filz helme are very common especially since the felt is quite thin and there is no protective visor trim. I have a brass trimmed Baden one where the rim is rolled (turned under) I think that there is a pic of it on the forum. This of course gave extra strength. Again a great find!

Back