Prussian Garde-Infanterie EM Feldmütze M1910

RON

Hello all,
I recently won the following 1915 dated Prussian Guard-Infantry marked M1910 field cap... It has some moth tracking but overall looks quite nice especially with the markings. It also carries a theatrical company stamp (repeated at least twice) which seems to add to its 'heritage':
PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMFeldmtzeM1910-1915a.jpg

PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMFeldmtzeM1910-1915b.jpg

PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMFeldmtzeM1910-1915c.jpg

PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMFeldmtzeM1910-1915d.jpg

Nice find, congratulations and the markings are indeed awesome =D>

Thanks for sharing and best regards,

Edwin

OK gents, I finally managed to take my own photos of my latest M1910 Feldmütze.

By comparing the below with the seller’s original photos (above), you’ll notice that the Reichs cockade’s white paint has further chipped-off during transit so my first question to you would be:

How do I prevent further flaking/chipping of the white paint?

After testing the cap under a black/UV light, I noticed that there is sporadic glowing on the liner and I’m assuming/hoping this could be explained by an attempt from a previous owner to carefully clean/scrub the liner with some detergent?

What concerns me most however is the fact nothing else glows abnormally except for that tiny piece of red fabric which is (correctly) sown between the Reichs cockade and the cap itself… Would that mean the cockades could not be original to the cap?

As for the markings, in addition to Guard regimentals, date, and size, you can see in purple what looks to me the maker’s stamp in addition to a costumer’s mark stamped twice (post-war theatre company I guess) plus some illegible blue rectangle captioned stamp on the cap’s ‘sweatband’. Can you tell what it is?

To my close-ups:
PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMFeldmuumltzeFieldCapM1910-1915b_zpscd1d9ace.jpg

PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMFeldmuumltzeFieldCapM1910-1915jj_zps90f625c5.jpg

PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMFeldmuumltzeFieldCapM1910-1915k_zps1d430ed2.jpg

PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMFeldmuumltzeFieldCapM1910-1915l_zps02462d17.jpg

PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMFeldmuumltzeFieldCapM1910-1915i_zpsb63e04be.jpg

PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMFeldmuumltzeFieldCapM1910-1915m_zpsfef45362.jpg

PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMFeldmuumltzeFieldCapM1910-1915n_zps95f17b0c.jpg

PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMFeldmuumltzeFieldCapM1910-1915o_zpsddfbda56.jpg

And a couple of ‘family’ shots:
PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMPickelhaubeM1915ampFeldmuumltzeFieldCapM1910a_zps9fa33e58.jpg

PrussianGarde-InfanterieampInfanterieEMFeldmuumltzenFieldCapsM1910a_zpse072c62c.jpg

When benchmarking my Guard Feldmütze with its Infantry counterpart, I noticed the former is made of higher quality ribbed wool. Even the red center band is nicer/smoother on the Guard cap:
PrussianGarde-InfanterieampInfanterieEMFeldmuumltzenFieldCapsM1910c_zpsc96cd16a.jpg

Gents, I've been noticing the "Kostüm-Verleih Zacher" mark--stamped twice on my field cap as seen above--alot lately mainly on Prussian M17 Einheits (Universal) Feldmützen...

Here's one of them that was sold very recently in France: http://2gm.bertrand-malvaux.com/p/12671/feldmutze-troupe-infanterie-prussienne-modele-20-juillet-1917.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When translated, this reads "Costume Rental Zacher"

They are theater prop's! Original items but in use for artistic purpose, some where rented by compagny's like thise one.
|<

There was a time when I would not buy an item that was costume house marked, but the costume mark is something that the fakers have not faked yet, and now the costume mark is an indication of an original item. The costume house made articles were not the same quality on the inside, and have been easy to tell from the originals.
Best
gus

As long as everything is authentic on the cap; that's fine with me! These companies saved many WW1 and WW2 militaria from destruction...

I hope they didn't restitch my cockades though :-k

RON said:
As long as everything is authentic on the cap; that's fine with me! These companies saved many WW1 and WW2 militaria from destruction...

I hope they didn't restitch my cockades though :-k
Yes, a costume house mark is a plus now.

Thank you guys for your feedback. :thumb up:

Come to think of it, since (1) the Reichs cockade seems more used than its Prussian counterpart as detailed above and (2) that tiny piece of red felt behind it glows under a UV light when the rest around it doesn't, maybe this cap went through some sort of 'maintenance'--its cockades being replaced/restitched--during its time at the Costume Rental company before it was sold as a collectible? :-k

I've posted, further up, front & back closeups of the red stitchings and the red piece of cloth between the Reichs cockade and the cap, should anyone notice any red flags... Anyway, this is probably something I'll never know for sure since my M1910 Infantry Schirmmütze also has all its red elements glowing under a black light and it's a (genuine) textbook WW1 visor cap:

PrussianInfantryOfficerSchirmmtzenVisorCapsM1910M1915d.jpg

At least the markings seem to be all OK and that random glowing inside the liner is probably due to cleaning attempts as part of that 'maintenance' I hypothesized...

And here's another family shot for Westfront :) :
PrussianGarde-InfanterieEMPickelhaubeM1915ampFeldmuumltzeFieldCapM1910b_zpsa3dc4508.jpg

RON said:
Hello all,
I recently won the following 1915 dated Prussian Guard-Infantry marked M1910 field cap... It has some moth tracking but overall looks quite nice especially with the markings. It also carries a theatrical company stamp (repeated at least twice) which seems to add to its 'heritage'

Nice cap, RON. =D>
Don´t worry about the theater stamp, I have myself an OJR91 officer helmet with such a stamp on the leather liner. All original item with best and well known provenance :wink:
And, hey, I also would like to "win" such an item!!! :D :D :D

Philippe

argonne said:
Nice cap, RON. =D>
Don´t worry about the theater stamp, I have myself an OJR91 officer helmet with such a stamp on the leather liner. All original item with best and well known provenance :wink:
And, hey, I also would like to "win" such an item!!! :D :D :D

Hey Phil,
I do not mind that theater stamp at all and like Gus said, it's nowadays further proof that this is an authentic cap...
I was just wondering about the possible re-stitching of the cockades and if anyone would know more about this.

"Mr Ultimate" here in Canada AKA Tony Schnurr has a few of these ex theatre props in his collection. If it is good enough for the T man who only buys the best, then relax boys. As was said, we are lucky that these companies bought up war surplus items for use after the war.

Just one observation....according to the markings, this can only be the 2.Garde-Regiment zu Fuß. The feldgrau material seems more like a private purchase type cloth, but the shortages of 1915 precipitated a lot of strange things out of necessity. My guess would be that the government went out on the military outfitters market to purchase some fill-in material.

Chip

Back