Prussian Garde M15

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
A recent purchase here in Canada and my thanks to Peter B. for alerting me to the listing. (y)
70180740144__AB6A73E6-8B55-4C39-B9A4-970B59CB6FD6.JPG
Original chin strap although repaired on one side. Kokarden are also original. The wappen would appear at first glance, to be the usual slightly rusted M15. However, there are some hidden surprises which will reveal themselves later. We shall see that this is yet another M95 helmet converted to M15 grey fittings. More to come.

A recent purchase here in Canada and my thanks to Peter B. for alerting me to the listing. (y)
View attachment 32556
Original chin strap although repaired on one side. Kokarden are also original. The wappen would appear at first glance, to be the usual slightly rusted M15. However, there are some hidden surprises which will reveal themselves later. We shall see that this is yet another M95 helmet converted to M15 grey fittings. More to come.
Brian
Thanks for the post
Nice helmet
Steve

Both visors were loose on this piece and had to be removed for stitching but here is a couple of additional photos.
IMG_4050.jpeg
I mentioned that this piece is an M95 to M15 conversion and we can see this in the removal of the original brass grommets which caused enlarged wappen holes. This is typical of a conversion helmet. Newly made M15's have nice steel grommets straight from the manufacturer. We can also see period done black thread stitching along the edge of the liner, this helmet has seen a lot of use.
IMG_4051.jpeg
The liner shows use but is complete. The interior of the shell has been painted a light brown colour which I have seen before but is not that common.

Last edited:
Congratulations on a nice find Brian! Looks like a nice project and we look forward to seeing your superb work once again!

My M15 Guard helmet has a repaired set of extra holes in the forehead area. I have seen this sometimes on the M15 guard helmets. The underside of back visor is clearly marked "K. B. A. G. 1915" with no signs of any other markings. The outside front of my helmet shows that the guard eagle has been on the helmet for a very long time, leaving outline impressions of the guard wappen.

Last edited:
Brian,
That is a very cool score; I am sure it will look fantastic when you finish it.
Best regards,
John

Back