Prussian Garde Officer Helmet 2nd to 4th Foot Guard Reg

weirdpyramid

My latest find is this Prussian Garde Officer Helmet of the 2nd to 4th Foot Guard Regiments circa 1895 with a nice large eagle wappen. Of course it is currently my favorite in my collection and im drooling over its golden features. The kokarden seem to be switched around from what ive normally seen around and from what i have in my own collection... anyone know why they are on opposite sides? cant seem to find any material yet in my reference books but i would of course appreciate any input from you pros out there.

thanks,
weirdone

frontli.jpg

sideu.jpg

side2p.jpg

closeupc.jpg

Yes, the cockades are on the wrong sides. Perhaps an earlier owner took the chin scales off and put the cockades back incorrectly.

Very nice helmet congrats! Love that large wappen. The Reichs kokarde (red white black) is always over the right ear while the landes kokarde is over the left. Regards, Brian

That's certainly a topshelfer you have there!
Can't help you out with the Kokarden, but I also have a haube with switched Kokarden... but as Brian says, the Reichs Kokarde must be on the right side...
I can only guess that someone, some day, has taken apart the haube for cleaning or so and then reassembled it the wrong way... but hey, that's just a possibility, not a fact...

Adler

Thanks for the input and praise! Wasn't sure about the switched Kokarden, if there was reason for it or just a mistake. Maybe the original owner was just a little "punk rock" and decided to go against the grain and swap em'. Thanks for posting the pic Adler of your swapped Kokarden, now i know im not alone and i'll just leave the Kokarden as they are.

weird one

weirdpyramid said:
Maybe the original owner was just a little "punk rock" and decided to go against the grain and swap em'.

Afraid not. That is like me putting my cap badge on upside down on my beret when I go to work. The RSM would have an aneurism. It is just not going to happen.
Switched Kokarden are absolutely a sign that someone (after 1918) took this thing apart, probably to clean, put it back incorrectly. I would switch them. On any helmet.
Beautiful example you have. :thumbright: Mine is below.

dbh06.jpg

dbh06d.jpg

Yes Tony im sure there was no patience back then for a "punk rock" attitude, they left that up to the English. It has crossed my mind switching the Kokarden but i always try to keep my greasy hands of my haubes. Im sure eventually though i will, as I and all of us we want our helmets to be as correct as possible. Thanks for the pics of your helmet, i love these garde helmets!!

weirdpyramid said:
Updated photos above. I am trying to improve my photography skills and show the helmet in the light it deserves.

OKAY!! Man, was I ever confused with the first few posts. I'm like, you know, like "Hey, those are like... right!" Then I wonder if ALL of my helmets are wrong, or I'm wrong, or the world has gone up side down or... so, that's all straightened out.

I can understand your 'drooling' it is indeed a nice looking helmet! My wife thinks I'm nuts when I just sit and look at my helmets, but then, she understands her somewhat odd husband. :)

:D Ron

I have come accross this reversed kokarde problem several times in my years of collecting as well as the previously discussed issue of the tin spike support disc found on the outside of the helme. I always put everything back to "regulation" status.

Yes, not to cause confusion but my previous pictures displayed the same helmet above but with the kokardes on the wrong sides. I fixed that, it was bugging me for awhile. Officers kokardes are a little more work to switch than your EM models.... pain in the ass!

Back