Prussian Garde Officer Restoration "The After"

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Here are the after pictures. I forgot to add, that I had to dye the sweat band a suitable colour as well. I am not really proud of the sweat band, it looks ok but I can do better. This was the first one that I have ever put in and to have to do it twice added to the problem. You will note that the silk liner took a beating during the restoration. The silk, if it even was silk was war time production and very thin. Add on 100 yrs of existence and it was very fragile and tore at the slightest touch.
I would like to emphasize here that these helmets especially the officer helmets and visors which have such fine stitching have only one restoration in them. A certain amount of "beating" can not be avoided during restoration. I have to put my hands inside the shell hundreds of times in order to re stitch. This was the primary reason why I removed the sweat band and silk to begin with. I knew that stitching the side re enforcements plus both visors would play hell with these parts. Unfortunately, the original sweat band was done after 100 years and could not be saved. Here are the pics:
GardeOffComplete005.jpg

GardeOffComplete004-1.jpg

GardeOffComplete009.jpg

GardeOffComplete011.jpg

Hi Brad...slightly over $500 if memory serves but the helmet deserved it. Brian

Thanks Mike. I do this stuff for people who are basically placing a lot of trust and money in me and what I can do. I would like to thank Lindsey the owner for his patience and faith in me. There were lots of unexpected things that happened with this piece but he kept the faith and did not get pissed off when I had to tell him that there was another problem which would take a month or more to work through. This is one thing that I would stress with the rest of my fellow collectors, you can not rush this sort of thing. The restoration business is an extra thing that we do over and above job, wife and family, there is only so much time. The restoration process takes time if things are going to look good when one is finished. You can not rush through the process...you can not sand wet shellac for example! So do not get your shorts in a knot because it aint going to happen just because you want it to! The other thing, is that sometimes the restorer has to step back and think about how to do the necessary repairs. You have to take some time and think about the helmets' problems as you do your regular job and deal with your family. An idea or solution always comes to mind and then you go and do it. This whole process takes time but only adds to the ultimate result which is a helmet that looks pretty damn good. This project took me a minimum of 8 months to finish. Brian

What a transformation!

Brian, that is just beautiful. I would be bonkers of the results if I was the owner of this helmet, as I am confident he must be. You are truely a master craftsman.

:bravo:

Geo

Thanks Dave, welcome to the forum and keep posting! No question or comment is too trivial! We all love these spikey hats. Brian

Back