Prussian Grenadier Haube?

gardist22

Hello, i have bought this haube many years ago. In my eyes is this a grenadier EM haube from 2. Grenadierregiment.
For a few days i was on the Weitze Militaria site and see a haube with nearly the same stamp (item Nr.371029), BUT he offers this as 2.Garderegimet zu Fuß!
Who has the right eagle on his helmet weitze or me?!IMG_1476.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1477.JPG
    IMG_1477.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1479.JPG
    IMG_1479.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
On the haube from weitze is a guard wappen, but nearly the same stamp as on my haube. both haubes has no BAG stamp.

Hello, i have bought this haube many years ago. In my eyes is this a grenadier EM haube from 2. Grenadierregiment.
For a few days i was on the Weitze Militaria site and see a haube with nearly the same stamp (item Nr.371029), BUT he offers this as 2.Garderegimet zu Fuß!
Who has the right eagle on his helmet weitze or me?!View attachment 18072
II GR for 2 GR??
Could it be 11 GR?

You are right, the marking in Weitze's helmet is very similar to yours. However, he interprets it as II CR, not II GR.

My humble opinion: II GR is definitivly for the 2. Garde Regiment zu Fuß. So in this case, the Weitze helmet has the right Wappen.

One can find a Mathias STRÖDER in the 4/Garde Regiment zu Fuß 2 in the Verlustlisten, first mentioned as lightly wounded August-September 1914, and later mentioned as taken prisoner. It is matching with the name tag and the company number in the helmet (4. Cp. 2. G. Rgt z. F.) 👍

One also find him in the red cross archives:

Further, the stamp 2. G.R.R. was a reserve unit from the Garde: 2. Garde Reserve Regiment. Some old helmets of the 2. Garde Regiment zu Fuß were used in peace time to equip the reservists during their periodic call. It seems the 2. G.R. zu Fuß has had a big need of helmets at the mobilisation, because those old helmets came back from the reserve unit to the active regiment.

The pomeranian 2GR from Stettin never had a reserve unit called 2. Grenadier Reserve Regiment (n)

I also noticed, that older Garde helmets (before about 1899) never show a BAG stamp...

Philippe
;)

And here another helmet from Weitze. Same stamp II.GR (z.Fuß) and with a BAG stamp from 1903 and also stamp 1903 for the FB (Füsilier Bataillon = IIIB).
BUT HERE WITH WRONG PLATE of the 7GR :ROFLMAO:!!!

Philippe
;)

Yes i see this too, very funny.
Today i am looking around for guard plate for my helmet, but should not sure about the guard eagle model: the older model, because the helmet is a 1891 model, or a 1895, like the stamp?

And here another helmet from Weitze. Same stamp II.GR (z.Fuß) and with a BAG stamp from 1903 and also stamp 1903 for the FB (Füsilier Bataillon = IIIB).
BUT HERE WITH WRONG PLATE of the 7GR :ROFLMAO:!!!

Philippe
;)

Philippe, you should read descriptions more carefully!
The helmet was a gift to GR7, explaining the different plate: "Der Helm wurde vom Garde-Bekleidungsamt an das Gren.Rgt. 7 abgegeben."
Wasn't that sweet and thoughtful from BAG?

Yes a helmet that was gifted! In the past the dealer excuse was that the soldat had been transferred to a different Regiment, which naturally explains why wappen do not match ink stamps.

Yes a helmet that was gifted! In the past the dealer excuse was that the soldat had been transferred to a different Regiment, which naturally explains why wappen do not match ink stamps.
He also have the same explanation when the helmet shows a double set of holes behind the Wappen 🙃 😂
Gift is a good word in this case. In german, it means "poison" 😅

Philippe
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i am looking for a guard eagle M95 fixed with screws.

torsten
Torsten,
Because your helmet is dated 1895, you have to look to a M95 wappen with loops. A M91 Wappen would have screws an nuts. I assume that your helmet has two grommets at the front... Please just look at this marvellous site of our friend Tony and you will understand the difference ;)

Philippe
;)

Back