Prussian Guard Inf. EM M1895 Pickelhaube

RON

Apart from the broken trim and the fact this is not wartime/M1915, what do you think of this one gents?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1913-VINTAGE-SPIKED-IMPERIAL-HELMET-UNIT-MARKED-ELITE-SHIELD-/150757859611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pointystuff said:
The neckguard stamp doesn't seem to fit with the Garde plate.
:-"

I noticed that too, 42nd IR is not a guards regiment to my knowledge. Is this another helmet assembled from parts?

Regards,

Edwin

As the old ad says, "Parts is [sic] parts." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTzLVIc-O5E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I researched that stamp for a hour or so and I couldn't connect the dots. It should read something like KBAG or .G.R.z.F., something like that.

Hey Guys,

Being from Iowa, I personally handled this helmet this past summer when it was for sale in the Grainery Antique Mall, in Walnut, Iowa (Iowa's antique capital city).

I've emailed the seller, telling him to DISCLOSE THAT IT HAS EXTRA HOLES BEHIND THE FRONTPLATE, and that whoever buys this is going to be really pissed off when they get the helmet, and find out that it has extra holes in the helmet shell behind the frontplate, and that he doesn't disclose this or show photos of the extra holes in his auction description. Ughhhhh!

Yes, everyone is correct, that the 42nd Regiment was a Line Infantry Regiment (5th Pommeranian, I believe). Obviously that explains the extra set of holes that were once for a Prussian Line Infantry enlisted eagle, instead of having this incorrect guard regiment eagle on it currently.

At least the chinstrap & kokardes on it were real... as were the brass fittings.

BUT, THE VISORS HAVE BEEN SLOPPILY RESTITCHED AS WELL, AS I RECALL. Another HUGE PROBLEM.

As you can all imagine, my mouth sort of hung open when I was in the shop, approaching the case this past summer, hoping that it was a "real" guard regiment helmet. My expression changed dramatically, needless to say, when I was able to handle it in person, and see these serious problems.

I believe that he wanted $750, or $799 on it this past summer in the antique mall. I pointed out the problems to the worker in the mall, but I'm guessing that he didn't pass the info on to the owner.

All the Best,

Alan Schaefer

Back