Prussian Guard Inf. EM M1915 Pickelhaube

RON

Gents, what do you think of this one (dated 1916)? From the liner, it looks like a War Bond helmet, doesn't it?

Can't post better pictures yet...
PreuenGardeInfMannPickelhaubeM1915a.jpg

PreuenGardeInfMannPickelhaubeM1915b.jpg

PreuenGardeInfMannPickelhaubeM1915c.jpg

PreuenGardeInfMannPickelhaubeM1915d.jpg

PreuenGardeInfMannPickelhaubeM1915e.jpg

Despite the blurry pictures, it seems like a nice M15 Prussian Guard to me. However, I am not entirely convinced about the authenticity of the kokardes, but this is a bit difficult to tell from these pics.

Best regards,

Edwin

I think it's OK too but I was a bit worried about the wappen being too minty/perfect and the difference in color between the latter and the Guard star... but this could be due either to the need to add contrast between both or because these may have been manufactured at different locations and the paint colours did not match...

This is one of the many advantages of being on this Forum... It's like eBay's Buyer Protection programme, only much much better :)

Hello all,
I can finally post some additional pics of my recently-acquired haube as taken by my roomate in Montreal who'll be taking good care of it until my next visit. With some extra TLC to the shell, this helmet will certainly shine again...
However I'm a bit concerned about its cockades:
Why are there black outlines around the red paint in the Reich cockade? Also, the serrations seem much bigger on the Prussian cockade.
Finally, what do you think could be wrong with the leather of the neck guard? Could it be disintegrating/rotting?
IMG_4680.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4681.jpg

IMG_4683.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4678.jpg

IMG_4689.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_4682.jpg

Howdie Gus!
It looks great overall but the serrations on the Prussian Cockade look different/deeper. Do you think it's an older model (maybe pre-1891 with an enlarged hole)? (we need Tony's expertise on this one; Tony you there?)
Also, what do you think is wrong with the leather on the neck guard?

RON said:
Howdie Gus!I t looks great overall but the serrations on the Prussian Cockade look different/deeper. Do you think it's an older model (maybe pre-1891 with an enlarged hole)? (we need Tony's expertise on this one; Tony you there?)Also, what do you think is wrong with the leather on the neck guard?

You do not need me. I am no expert. Just a guy with a lot of helmets. Does not give me credibility. There are very many guys on this forum who know more than I do.

However, I see zero wrong with this. I would buy it. Yea, the deep serrated edges are odd, but there must have been hundreds of manufacturers. And there is nothing wrong with the rear visor. That is age, the lacquer sticking to an ancient now-gone Űberzug. Plus, the shells were made from boiling and pressing, the visors, just raw leather. So it is very normal to see on a helmet, a shell that is pristine and visors that are trashed.

Ron, I see no red flags on this beauty, however it's possible the spike is not original to the helmet... Looking at the fittings of the helmet, they still have almost all of the gray finish and looking at the spike, the gray is almost completely gone...
I would give this helmet only a very very mild cleaning with a slightly wet cloth... it's unmessed with at this moment, why let it shine while it has this really nice patina?

Adler

Thank you guys for the feedback.
The spike could have lost its patina due to constant manipulation over time--we do often tend to 'grab' these by the spike--or isn't original to the helmet. As long as everything is authentic, it's just fine with me.
There are some other fittings in this helmet that contrast as well with their grey counterparts like the spike base fixations/mounts which actually look black on the photos, or the back spine... I guess some parts age faster than others?

Maybe the zinc on the steel parts oxidizes at different rates partly due to the quality/thickness of the plating.

I have a wartime steel hussar bandeau that's a very dark gray. Several of the M15 spikes here also have a point/base color contrast like yours.

Looks like a pretty snazzy helmet you have there.

I can't wait to actually hold that helmet in my hands and take proper pictures of it.
Out of curiosity, would you recommend wiping the metal fittings with light gun oil (e.g. 'G96' used to protect guns & swords/boyonets) from time to time to protect them from further oxydation or, in the case of the wappen, keep it in its current pristine condition?

I can't wait to actually hold that helmet in my hands, take proper pictures of it, smell it even (there's nothing like the 'smell of history').
Out of curiosity, would you recommend wiping the metal fittings with light gun oil (e.g. 'G96' used to protect guns & swords/boyonets) from time to time to protect them from further oxydation or, in the case of the wappen, keep it in its current pristine condition?

Back