Prussian helmet

Do you have any description? Just looking at the photos, I have a couple of questions. Is it a leather helmet or is it made of an ersatz material? The scales on the chinstrap reminds me of a very late war made officer's helmet I once had. All the fittings had been made of a base metal and then gilded. Unfortunately, someone polished it and took most of the gilding off.

I'd leave this one alone. The plate looks bad and there's nothing about it that makes me think its anything other than a parts helmet or out and out fake, especially that nice brass wood screw holding the chin scales together.... I can't tell what in the world is holding the chin scales on at the side. Also the neck guard looks dicey. To me, the plate looks like a fake, the detail is so mushy and to me it looks like it was cast or similar because there seems to be a crease (as from a double mold pour) on some of the neck feathers... could just be a bad photo, but the plate still looks bad to me.

Ron

I totally agree with Ron, the detail on the wappen is way too undefined for my liking, it looks too mushy and not nearly crisp enough.

And full points Ron for noticing the brass screw being used as a chinscale clasp - that's some fine MacGyver work there by a previous owner! :lol:

The eagle might lack sharp deatails as it looks to me, to be a M15 eagle plate that has been polished. If a magnet sticks to it, there is no doubt.

Back