Prussian infantry helmet M1887

A fine helm

Dear fellow collectors,
I‘m very happy to show you my latest addition to my collection. An enlisted men's helmet M1887 in beautiful condition with a great provenance, because this helmet was also shown in the article "Der preussische Mannschaftshelm Modell 1887", which was published in the German magazine for military science.

The M1887 is characterized by the absence of the visor trimm, which was replaced by a pressed leather bulge, and the leather chinstrap with hook/eyelet fastening. However, neither really proved advantageous, which is why it was already replaced with the M1891.
View attachment 34116
The helmet has no „Kammerstempel" and was apparently never worn. Just a manufacturer's stamp can be seen on the rear visor, but unfortunately I couldn't figure it out. The liner even still has the original leather strap, which is extremely rare. From the outside, only some scratches can be seen, but I can live with that very well after more than 130 years.
View attachment 34117View attachment 34118

Recently I had an interesting discussion with Tony about this helmet, since we both had assumed before that the smaller eagle plate with the cleared spaces between wings and legs was introduced not before 1891. However, after researching this again, I found, firstly, a passage in the book "Beschreibung der Infanterie-Ausrüstung M/87", published by the Prussian War Ministry in 1887, which states that the helmet fittings for the M/87 were lightened. Secondly, there is an M1887 in the Bavarian Army Museum in Ingolstadt, which was demonstrably given to the museum in 1891. And this helmet has exactly the same eagle plate as it is on my helmet. Since the helmet was handed over to the museum, it can be assumed that it was handed over in its original condition, since it was surely intended as a reference object for future generations.
View attachment 34123
The helmet has the following dimensions:
  • Height of the helmet with spike: 22 cm
  • Height of the helmet shell without visors: 9.5 cm
  • Width of the front- and rear visor: 5.0 cm
  • Height of the spike: 9 cm
  • Diameter of the spikebase: 7.6 cm
  • Dimensions of the eagle plate: 11 cm (H) x 14 cm (W)
  • Width of the chin strap: 1.6 cm
  • Dimensions of the brass eyelet fitting to the chinstrap (without eyelet): 2 cm (W) x 3 cm (L). Diameter of the eyelet: 1.1 cm
  • Dimensions of the hook rosette: 2.5 cm (W) x 1.5 cm (H). The hook is 2.2 cm high and 6 mm wide
  • Diameter of the Prussian cockade: 5.0 cm
  • Prescribed leather liner with 9 round flaps
  • Diameter of the blackened metal disc inside: 9.5 cm
  • Weight of the helmet: 476 g
View attachment 34120View attachment 34121View attachment 34122
Hope you all like it as I do :)
Excellent condition
Thanks for the photos and the post
I have some Wurttemberg e m kokards for that model of helmet
Steve

As Sandy said, the M87's peculiarity was inconclusive, and was modified in 1891
---The tip loses the Perlring, but retains the ferrule device for adjusting the ventilation holes. In 1891, the ferrule disappears. I'll develop this point further. (just as the M67's lack of a rear spine was returned in 1871).
---With the M87, the visor loses its brass border, replaced by a fold in the leather (back in 1891).
---The 2-ring chinstrap is hooked to 2 side hooks, with a barb buckle for adjustment (modified with side post M91).
---The kocades are specific and pinned by the hook, (modified in 1991).
---The shell can be seamless (as on the M67) or with a back seam (as on the M71).M87 bombe à couture sous le jonc, idem M71.JPGCIMG6808.JPGM87 Pte virole ouverte.JPGM87 Pte virole fermée.JPG

Last edited:
Back