What do you think of this one?
PrussianInfantryEMFeldmtzeM1910a-1.jpg

PrussianInfantryEMFeldmtzeM1910d.jpg

PrussianInfantryEMFeldmtzeM1910e.jpg

PrussianInfantryEMFeldmtzeM1910f-1.jpg

PrussianInfantryEMFeldmtzeM1910g.jpg

PrussianInfantryEMFeldmtzeM1910i.jpg

Full of moth holes but seems authentic?

I finally got my hands on my one and only Feldmütze thus far... It looks, feels and smells like the real deal no doubt there. Moreover, nothing glows under a UV light; white paint on both cockades included.

Chip and I had discussed elsewhere the (smaller/NCO-type) Prussian Cockade it has on and it turns out he was right about the fact the black thread in the liner is a remnant left from the original sew-on OR Prussian Cockade. I also felt the current (smaller/NCO-type) Prussian Cockade brads/prongs but they are both bent to one side (i.e. not split like they normally should) as if to facilitate insertion in between the outer wool and the cotton lining without piercing the latter (see closeup hereafter)... I also noticed a tiny rectangle of red fabric inserted between the Reichs Cockade and the cap's outer gray wool so as to give a red background in case the red thread wouldn't be thick enough to cover the 2 sewing wholes in the cockade. I guess this was standard procedure (see closeup hereafter)?

Thus I'm still faced with either of 2 scenarios:
(1) The switching to a smaller Prussian cockade was made when the soldier was promoted to NCO or
(2) the switch happened post-war by some collector wanting to replace (or upgrade) a lost (or damaged) OR cockade...

Anyway, no matter how 'basic' or 'classic' this piece of headgear is to many, it's still nice to look at and manipulate while imagining the actual German soldier that once wore it during the Great War...
PrussianInfantryEMFeldmtzeM1910f-2.jpg

PrussianInfantryEMFeldmtzeM1910m-1.jpg

PrussianInfantryEMFeldmtzeM1910l-1.jpg

Back