Prussian Infantry Officer's Helmet

Redlegwolf

Cheers, all!

I listed this nice example of a Prussian Infantry Officer's helmet on ebay, but I could use some help identifying the model. It's a nice helmet, but I primarily collect Field Artillery helmets--and a few exceptional pieces from other branches.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301097607612?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Also, if anyone is interested, feel free to make an offer and we can work through paypal or check for significantly less.

v/r
Wolf-Ekkehard

Hello, welcome to the forum if I haven't already mentioned that. My thought is that you may not get a lot of feedback about the type of officer, etc. while the auction is running, but I may be wrong. From what I see the shell is Vulcanfiber with the same for the visor and neck guard? Visor isn't lined, so I assume neither is the neck guard. (?) I like the photo you posted here better than the ones on ebay, but then that's me.

:D Ron

Hmm...what makes you all think it is a fake? I am aware that someone replaced the leather and buckle on the back of the chinscales (poorly), but the chinscales themselves got the thumbs up from some fairly good sources.

v/r
Wolf

Your scales were repros, probably hand made because: 1) the second last scales on both sides have no scallops and are very large. All scales on original straps are scalloped except for the very last ones which link together 2) the male- female end scales which link together to secure the 2 scales are far too big on this ...the hole on the female scale is far too big compared to an original.
Here is how to recognize hand made fake chin scales....there will be differences in the chin scale scallops, size width shape of the curves etc. Just look closely and make comparisons with your eyes. There will also be cut marks on the edges of the scales where they were cut by hand using tin snips and a jewelers saw. The fakers always forget to remove these. 3) The scales will be chemically darkened to look old, sort of a reddish brown colour. This chemical treatment goes for fake wappen as well...darken it up, make it look old and try to cover up the "galvano" bubbles in the finish of the wappen. Sometimes you can also see drip runs in this chemical application where too much was put on. Legitimate original patina caused by oxidization over many years, is uniform in colour. You only see bright spots on those pieces which were not exposed like the underside of chin scales when lifted up or the top of a spike which has been covered by a screw on spike top. For a good example of original patina colouring on fittings take a look at my Prussian infantry officer helmet in the new "Restoration Forum"which was put up this past week. Those parts have a minimum 100 yrs of oxidization on them!
Original scales were stamped out by machine or some sort of press using dies...they are perfect and graduated in size from the largest at the shell to the smallest where they link together. Look at some of the great officer helmets shown on this site and check out the scales. You will see what I mean. Anyone who told you those scales were original did not know what they were talking about. Keep asking questions Wolf...you will learn and won't get burned!

b.loree said:
Keep asking questions Wolf...you will learn and won't get burned!

Very true. Been there, done that and that relates to most of the forum members here I am afraid :(

Regards,

Edwin

I figured I'd give an update now that this piece has sold and a more experienced member of the forum talked to me about the piece. It was his opinion, the helmet scales were genuine, and that this was a train officer's helmet--not an infantry officer's helmet. You learn something everyday...and thanks for the info.

-Wolf-Ekkehard

Redlegwolf said:
I figured I'd give an update now that this piece has sold and a more experienced member of the forum talked to me about the piece. It was his opinion, the helmet scales were genuine, and that this was a train officer's helmet--not an infantry officer's helmet. You learn something everyday...and thanks for the info.

-Wolf-Ekkehard

To clear this up, what I actually wrote was that rounded scales would indicate a Train officer's helmet, but made no mention of them being genuine... I really didn't know. I've seen other helmets on the forum with similar scales, missing the scallop on the end etc. but I'll bow to Brian's knowledge on this because he makes helmet restoration part of his bread and butter.

Aside from that, I hope that you're doing well and staying safe, where ever you are! :greentank: Great to hear from you again.

:D Ron

Back