Gents, what do you think of this one?
JZPM15.jpg

JZPM15a.jpg

JZPM15b.jpg

JZPM15c.jpg

JZPM15e.jpg

Keeper or pass?

Guys, here are a few concerns of mine:
> The gray paint seems almost gone isn't it; plenty of rust/dark coloring instead
> The liner is dry with some tips torn-off
> Broken tie-string
> Is this the correct spike? (it's a bit different from the regular M15Pickelhaube spike, isn;t it?)
> Isn't this a brass chinstrap?

Do you agree with the above and if so, would you still go for it?

I see rust on the buckels, so they are steel. The paint in my humble opinion, is "perfect" for what I would like in my collection. :thumbright:

Liner is still there which is the most important thing, and any remains of the draw cord is a bonus. That is gone on 9 out 10 helmets I have. I would buy this.

If you are looking for perfection you have the wrong hobby! The paint looks much better than the examples I have seen. Buy it! :D

Original chin strap and kokarden, original liner Ronny!! Give yer head a shake and get yer wallet out. That one is as good as they come.

Hey Brian, just sold 2 of my 3 kidneys this morning so I'm good to go! :cool:

I'm buying the helmet and will try to get a better chinstrap with it--unless you red flag it... It's the one on the Kurassier with the wrong spike that I posted under 'Pickelhaube Discussion' (same seller). It looks OK and in a much better condition, right?

Good for you sell the kidneys....get yer priorities straight man! That other chin strap looks original to me from what I can see..

Hey Adler,
I'm actually trying to swap the chinstrap with that of the Kurassier behind the JZP in one of the pictures. It is in much better condition and looks to be original too.
There's more pictures of that Kurassier--which has the wrong spike otherwise I would've bought it too--and its chinstrap in my other thread under 'Pickelhaube Discussion' should you want to check it.

Very nice helmet. You made the right choice Ron. The only problem is that the prussian cockade appears to be a copy, and of course both cockades are of the wrong size. Try to find cavalry cockades. Even, to start with, as good repros. These helmets look so much better with the correctly sized cockades...
Bruno

Hey Bruno,
What makes you think the Prussian Cockade is fake? The seller, who's quite trustworthy, assures me everything on the helmet is authentic.
You're right, the large cockades would look much nicer but my understanding is that part of the 1915 regulations, Kurassier and JZP were to wear the regular cockades, although not everyone adhered to this.
And by the way, did anyone notice the higher JZP-style spike? I found this on the net (thanks Andrew):
GermanSpitzenSpikes-JgerzuPferdeEMMetalhelmevsInfantryEMPickelhaubeM1915.jpg

The shine, the sharp angles... does not look right to me (compare with the other one). But I may be wrong. And this would not be a reason not to purchase the helmet anyway.
I know about the possibility of small cockades being worn on M15 cavalry helmets, even though I saw no proof for it. But I would always go for the best looking version. It is like having a hessian M15 with a round spike base... yes, these did exist but for me the real appeal of the hessian helmet is the cruciform base, therefore I would not go for anything else. Just my opinion though...
Cheers,

I just got this one in today. It's fresh out of the woodwork. I think it's interesting that they were still making these helmets in 1915. I wonder if they were actually used very much.
JzP_3QtrsR3.jpg

JzP_Liner.jpg

JzP_8JP.jpg

JzP_Junker1915.jpg[img]

Back