Prussian Krugelhelm

MG34NZ

Hi Guys, Just picked up this M1895 Prussian Artillery helmet (think that's what it is) Can anyone enlighten me as to the significance of the gilt washed helmet plate? Its gilt on brass and the crown isnt pierced.

Any advice much appreciated

Andrew

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7859/pics003x.jpg
[/img]
pics004w.jpg

Hi Andrew, Yes, it's a mod. 1895 pickelhaube. The eagle's crown isnt pierced because it's a E.M. (kanonier) type. Only officer's helms have a pierced crown.
Ciao, Giorgio

Thanks for confirming that Giorgio, Do you have any idea why the plate is gilt washed?

Regards
Andrew

The mannshaften adler mod. 1895 is usually in shiny brass. Sometime I have found eagles gilt washed. I think there was some different producing methods.
Perhaps, the early eagle was gilt washed in a second time.
Your pickelhaube is a good piece. Chatch up a pair of cocades and it'll be completed. Ciao, Giorgio

No regimental markings that I can see,there is a small circular makers stamp but its hard to make out and unreadable.
regards
Andrew

pics012c.jpg
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Hi Andrew, congrats on your new kugelhelme. I have no explanation as to the gilt on your helmet plate, sometimes they are just brass and in other cases, they show gilding like yours. That is just the way it goes. Count yourself lucky. There is also a thread here on the forum dealing with wappen/ helmet plates. Regards, Brian

Thanks Brian, I appreciate your input.This is the first gilded O/R's wappen I have encountered.It certainly makes the helmet look nice.

regards

Andrew

Here is a real rogue idea. It could be a private purchase Diensthelm. Never even seen one advertised with the gilding on an enlisted Wappen but in the box of you could buy anything…

joerookery said:
Here is a real rogue idea. It could be a private purchase Diensthelm. Never even seen one advertised with the gilding on an enlisted Wappen but in the box of you could buy anything…

I shake the box even more. I have a hypothesis that all Preußen line eagle Wappen had a light gilt wash when issued. Fittings were (usually) raw brass, but the Wappen was gilded (to a much lower quality than a private purchase one).

the Wappen was gilded (to a much lower quality than a private purchase one).

I think your idea has a great deal of merit. Look at this below. This was a catalog that sold to Kammer folks. I do not know what this stuff is chemically. But you get the impression that gold bronze was painted over everything on a regular basis. I really do not know what that does however, it certainly does sound like a wash.

w5 by joerookery, on Flickr

Personally, I am not surprised. I own quite a few E.M. helmets with gilded emblems. Like this one below. In this case, though, an easy explanation may be that the helmet was worn by an Unteroffizier, as indicated by the (original) cockade. Besides, the helmet is 100 % of the E.M. type.
Bruno

L1010128.jpg

L1010132.jpg

L1010134.jpg

L1010135.jpg

I am not surprised either. To compliment the photo Bruno posted here is an issue helmet marked to IR 110, 2nd Bn, dated 1910 and with a gilt like coating on the front plate.

baden1.jpg

baden002.jpg

Reservist1

Three more issued helmets with gilt Wappen Adler:

P1010300.jpg

PICT0383.jpg

KICX0757.jpg

RG18.jpg

Brasso would remove all traces of gilt in a heartbeat, which is why I believe it is not often encountered on helmets these days.

Beautiful pieces indeed!!
Need to see more of LS's Colonial Haube if possible?

Y'know it's really odd that I've seen this on so many plates, some in my collection, others at shows or museums / other collections and it never dawned on me that there may have been a wash over them. I mean, really, it's obvious if you look at it. I mean, I knew there was a 'plating' on them, but never thought it was a type of gilding... Just odd how the mind works until that dim little light goes on.
I think perhaps a lot of the 'brass trims', especially EM's, have had their gilding pretty much cleaned off by collectors / owners. I even have my first General a'la Suite that has silver on the back of the plate, but not a trace on the front... evidently somebody wanted a 'gold' plate long before I acquired it in the '70's.
Nice how this simple question turned into such a great discussion!

:D Ron

Back