Prussian Kurassier kokarde - genuine?

Hallibag

What do you think about this kokarde? It’s made of thin, stamped metal. The white paint is kind of a creamy colour. Original, or reproduction?

CD8E9424-9A2B-4CCD-B88A-510E48BA2627.jpeg
3A319385-76A8-4DBB-8261-2E2E5FFE498E.jpeg
063508A6-889E-40B6-8200-FA8385820183.jpeg
F3A40A65-2856-49E5-B5A5-5F5304A95C65.jpeg

1653743999876.png
Take a look at this picture, posted here on the forum by Steve. @KAGGR#1 . you can see, that there should be a little raised rand. This little edged rand should alway's be present on the center hole.I posted this picture, hopefully with permission from Steve, but anybody can find it here. This little edged rand is missing here. So for me, it is a fake.
Sorry about it though..

Last edited:
View attachment 22773
Take a look at this picture, posted here on the forum by Steve. @KAGGR#1 . you can see, that there should be a little raised rand. This little edged rand should alway's be present on the center hole.I posted this picture, hopefully with permission from Steve, but anybody can find it here. This little edged rand is missing here. So for me, it is a fake.
Sorry about it though..
Well, that’s disappointing. Thought condition was very good but I wasn’t aware of anyone having made repro stamped kurassier kokarden, so took a chance this one was real.

Looks also original for me. See as reference . the german auction house "321-militaria". he is selling
old stock Kuerassier enlisted cocardes. And if you see the pictures, they really look authentic
Best
Thomas

//Thought condition was very good but I wasn’t aware of anyone having made repro stamped kurassier kokarden, so took a chance this one was real.//
Well, that's because it is an original.

Up to 1894 all Preußen Kürassier issued Metalhelme wore a large 63mm Kokarde with a center hole for the screw post. In 1894 Kürassier began the roll over to M94 (M91) posts for the M94 chinscales. Probably Sqn by Sqn they marched over to the Kammer and turned their helmets over for the 1894 modification.

One by one, those screw posts came off and were tossed in a box, same for scales. Then to each helmet the M94 chinscale post was fitted. Did you ever wonder why M91/M94 posts are secured with a hollow tube with four cuts to bend backwards? That's so they would fit in the hole left by the screw post.

Finally, some workman took each 63mm Kokarde, and gave it a WHACK! with a metal die, to cut the center out of each Kokarde so they would fit the posts. Probably hundreds at a time. This leaves you with a 63mm Kokarde which will now fit the M94 post. You can tell these, modified Kokarden as the centre that was punched out, has no paint on it. Just raw metal from the punch. Like this one, which started life with a small hole for the screw post, then was punched out at later date for the M94 post..

Kurassier_modified_to_M1894.jpg

Last edited:
Well, that's because it is an original.

Up to 1894 all Preußen Kürassier issued Metalhelme wore a large 63mm Kokarde with a center hole for the screw post. In 1894 Kürassier began the roll over to M94 (M91) posts for the M94 chinscales. Probably Sqn by Sqn they marched over to the Kammer and turned their helmets over for the 1894 modification.

One by one, those screw posts came off and were tossed in a box, same for scales. Then to each helmet the M94 chinscale post was fitted. Did you ever wonder why M91/M94 posts are secured with a hollow tube with four cuts to bend backwards? That's so they would fit in the hole left by the screw post.

Finally, some workman took each 63mm Kokarde, and gave it a WHACK! with a metal die, to cut the center out of each Kokarde so they would fit the posts. Probably hundreds at a time. This leaves you with a 63mm Kokarde which will now fit the M94 post. You can tell these, modified Kokarden as the centre that was punched out, has no paint on it. Just raw metal from the punch. Like this one, which started life with a small hole for the screw post, then was punched out at later date for the M94 post..

View attachment 23133
Thank you, Tony!

Back