Prussian M.1860 Pickelhaube

Sadowa

• Let me introduce you another prussian helmet of my collection from 1866 battle by Sadowa
    Because of problems with pictures in my former topic,let me know if the pictures are displayed without problems now.
    Thank you.
M-1860-01.jpg

M-1860-02.jpg

M-1860-03.jpg

M-1860-04.jpg

M-1860-05.jpg

Hello Alexandr
Great helmet, the photos are great, they even load on my old fasioned computer.
Gus

• Thanks Gus,
    I think the only slight imperfection is the newly painted white stripe on the cocarde.By the way the cocarde is the older type.
    Alexandr

Alexandr,

Very nice helmet.
I am also interested in the Austro-Prussian and Franco-Prussian Wars. Do you have Geoffrey Wawro's two excellent books on these wars. highly recommend them, great history and great reading.

Here are some pictures of my M1860 Oldenburg andf my M1862 Dreyse Zundnadelgewehr.

Mike
1c_1_b.jpg

02_1_b.jpg

dc_1_b.jpg

dreyserifle1.jpg

Another beautiful helmet. Correct 1860 eagle too. Here is mine, they could be twins. More pics>. http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh01.htm

Mike, could I get the title of those Geoffrey Wawro books please?

dbh01.jpg

Tony,

That is an easy one: 'The Austro-Prussian War' and 'The Franco-Prussian War' both by Geoffrey Wawro and published by Cambridge University Press.

Both great books, Wawro has a writing style that shifts smoothly between the strategic and the tactical and moves at a pace that leaves you feeling like you are part of the action. Amazons stocks both of these books. Highly recommended.

Mike

I am locked out in the cold on these model 1860 helmes.... arrghhhhh! As my students would say, "very sweet". My comment is "extremely sweeeeet all round" !!! Brian

• Mike,
    your Oldenburg and Dreyse are amazing.These books I don´t know- I will try to get them.

Tony,
    your M.1860 is realy great,I saw other your pictures-very nice -the markings. On mine one- there are not any.

Alexandr

Hi

No markings (unfortunately) inside my 1860. And it is the same inside 1860 Weitze's Colberg one.

Alexandr, your model looks very good: old patina and good pices, including the specific bolts. Congratulations.

Best regards

Eric

• Thank you,Eric

I think the markings-made that time only by painting-had been worn away very easily during the time.

I vote thumbs up on the Wawro books -- but not two thumbs-up. My primary interest is in the 1866 war. My biggest disappointment with the books was in the postwar settlement area. How is that for nit picking! I think his books have become the standard on those two wars. Well worth the read.

Back