Prussian M15 Tschako

A

Anonymous

A question was asked in the Helmets on eBay forum regarding the integrity of this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6604513236

I know the eBay pictures are poor, and deliberately so, but enough is evident to draw comparisons.

I do not own an issued M95 Preußen Tschako, but my M15 makes a decent subject for analysis.

PICT0532.jpg

Any issued Tschako will be fitted with side ventilators. These should be slightly convex.

PICT0533.jpg

The front visor edge is characterized by a lip.

PICT0536.jpg

The liner is the same as that of issued Pickelhauben. In this example, the leather has a dark russet color. Generally, eight or nine tongues are present.

PICT0538.jpg

The Preußen Wappen is attached using the M95/15 Pickelhaube system of loops and leather shims. Note the grommets.

PICT0542.jpg

Close-up detail of the Preussen Jäger Wappen: This example has a parkerized finish. The Preußen Feldzeichen replaces the Preußen Kokarde. Chinstrap adjustment buckles that nearly meet are a strong indicator the strap is original to the helmet and not a replacement.

PICT0544.jpg

A regimental I.D. is always a bonus. In this instance, Rheinisches Jäger Bataillon Nr. 8.

PICT0540.jpg

A right profile view:

PICT0535.jpg

Questions and comments welcomed.

Chas.

Along with the information provided by Chas, I would also note the impressed "bead" on the front visor is particular to EM tschapkas.

Oops, Chas already addressed that....

Dave

Chas: Good photos and information. I would add the following: 1. Liners in the vast majority of issue M95 shakos will be dyed black on the side of the leather that contacts the wearer's head. The reverse side of the liner should not be dyed. 2. Private purchase M95 shakos may or may not have side ventilators and there can be any number of different liner styles/colors in private purchase shakos.

Reservist1

Hi Dave and R1:

Thanks for your comments. My JB 10 is a private purchase M95 Tschako and, for the reasons R1 discussed, does not have vents. The liner is natural pigskin.

This is a link to some pictures of that helmet:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53

Chas.

Hi Chas:
Excellent photos...certainly not poopy looking ha! ha! More importantly, the forum members have proved themselves once again. We could have got contentious and pouty over some statements in the Ebay thread. However, we avoided that, acted like mature adults and ended up with a great detailed study of what to look for in a shako!!! Thanks again Chas for taking the time to do this.
FYI my take on the Ebay shako was that we had an original corpus with added visors and poor repro liner. The faker used old leather for his replacements but how do you fake that raised ridge on the front visor?? Answer, you can't without a hell of a lot of work and knowledge of manipulating leather. Brian

b.loree said:
Excellent photos...certainly not poopy looking ha! ha!
Hi Brian:

You can't know how much I regretted making that statement once Gus revealed the full size pictures were only a click away (actually, I regretted it even before that). As the late Terry Thomas might say, I've "been an absolute shower!"

For the corpus to be original, it would have been cannibalized from a private purchase Tschako (no vents), and, while not impossible, the odds certainly don't favor it. All the leather appears to have the same bubbled uneven finish, which makes me believe it's quite contemporaneous. It would be helpful to see details of the construction: how the top is stitched, is there a correctly made pocket for the Feldzeichen, will the thread flouresce under black light, etc.

The saddest observation is someone has bid on the helmet.

Chas.

No problems Chas, I have committed a foto faux pas in my latest posting of my Wurtt heleme in the haube discussion section. I have been royally chewed out by Margo for an excessive size problem. Hmmmm.... I have never had that criticism before. I can't wait for the SOS so we can all get together in person. If you don't mind, email me with Donna's book requests so that I can bring them with me. Re this shako, it boggles the mind that anyone would take the trouble to make this corpus from scratch. You have to have a form in the correct shape around which the leather has to be molded. You would have to plan on selling a dozen or more to make the work worth while. Brian

Back