Prussian Officer Private Purchase - any red flags?

morel5000

Hi All,

I can purchase this haube. Any red flags? Price range?

Thanks for your input,
Michel

35753335.jpg

48993220.jpg

41309380.jpg

73614113.jpg

25690653.jpg

48040639.jpg

84605595.jpg

40934439.jpg

There is always the old argument about hex nuts. When did these start to exist? What exactly does it mean that these are there? I think we have a pretty good thread on the nuts and bolts.
http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would also be wonderful to see the threads on the screws.

Thanks Joe. Didn't notice that. Nuts from the wappen are square, why not use the same nuts for all?
It is a Deutscher Offiziersverein helmet, could that explain something? Anybody has a D.O.V. helmet to compare?

Nuts from the wappen are square, why not use the same nuts for all?

Michel,

I think the general thought is that these nuts were removed at some time and when they were replaced they were replaced with newer nuts. I do not think it has anything to do with D.O.V.

VR
Joe

Hi Joe,

thanks again. I think I'll pass on it and wait for a 100% original (or at least one without a shadow of doubt). I don't know if it is fiber as I don't have it in hand.

Best regards,
Michel

Thanks! What should be a reasonable pick up price? If someone has advice but doesn't want to post please feel free to PM me. :|

I have a fiber helmet like this, but it's in POOR condition. This one looks pretty sweet to me and I wouldn't care about the hex nuts at all. But then, that's just me. 8-[

:D Ron

Thanks guys for all the input!

I did pass on it as the hex nuts will still haunt me in the future :evil:

Thanks again,
Michel

when you were offered this helmet what was the price? a few hex nuts won't devalue this much to the serious collector.. Original nuts are often missing from fine originals.

Nice lacquered felt officer helmet. It would be interesting to know whether the visors are leather, vulcan fibre or even card board. Excellent liner. I see some discolouration on the chin scales. Are they perhaps zinc with gold wash?

Back