Prussian pickelhaube for your review

My first opinion: it seems to be a M91 EM helmet shell, but spike, chinscales and cockades were not born with this helmet....This JR162 or maybe old style hanseatic JR76/JR75 cockade (before 1897) has nothing to do on this helmet...

I really would like to see some more picts of each regiment stamps on the back visor! Wow, this helmet has travelled!! If I am right, it shows 4 stamps of RJR (all differents?) which have been all cancelled (one seems to be 40RJR2B, Mannheim and Heidelberg) and at least one stamp of the LJR78 (2B is cancelled too) (Braunschweig and Celle), obviously the unit where the helmet ended, because it is not cancelled, but obviously not in the second bataillon (2B).

It could be very interesting to decypher the three other cancelled markings. I know some examples of old M91 helmets which are showing some big clues ](*,) and that have been intensively discuted on french forums in the past. Because they also show the stamp of the RJR40 and other stamps of the R92 and RJR73 / RJR78.

We are knowing that reservists from Braunschweig were included at the mobilisation in the II/RJR73, in the II/RJR78, in the III/LJR74 and in the II/LJR78. At some times, before the mobilisation, it seems that the BA.X gave some of its very old helmets to the RJR40 (BA. XIV) for some unknown reasons #-o . Lack of helmets for a short period during the periodic recall of reservists in the RJR40 before the war? It also seems that those old helmets were returned to the BA.X before the war and saw duty again in a reserve or Landwehr unit mobilised in Braunschweig...

I am pretty sure, that this helmet is one of them too...

Philippe
:wink:

argonne said:
My first opinion: it seems to be a M91 EM helmet shell, but spike, chinscales and cockades were not born with this helmet....This JR162 or maybe old style hanseatic JR76/JR75 cockade (before 1897) has nothing to do on this helmet...

I really would like to see some more picts of each regiment stamps on the back visor! Wow, this helmet has travelled!! If I am right, it shows 4 stamps of RJR (all differents?) which have been all cancelled (one seems to be 40RJR2B, Mannheim and Heidelberg) and at least one stamp of the LJR78 (2B is cancelled too) (Braunschweig and Celle), obviously the unit where the helmet ended, because it is not cancelled, but obviously not in the second bataillon (2B).

It could be very interesting to decypher the three other cancelled markings. I know some examples of old M91 helmets which are showing some big clues ](*,) and that have been intensively discuted on french forums in the past. Because they also show the stamp of the RJR40 and other stamps of the R92 and RJR73 / RJR78.

We are knowing that reservists from Braunschweig were included at the mobilisation in the II/RJR73, in the II/RJR78, in the III/LJR74 and in the II/LJR78. At some times, before the mobilisation, it seems that the BA.X gave some of its very old helmets to the RJR40 (BA. XIV) for some unknown reasons #-o . Lack of helmets for a short period during the periodic recall of reservists in the RJR40 before the war? It also seems that those old helmets were returned to the BA.X before the war and saw duty again in a reserve or Landwehr unit mobilised in Braunschweig...

I am pretty sure, that this helmet is one of them too...

Philippe

Philippe, I agree on the M91 shell but none of these regiments would have square-visored helmets...

By the hell, Bruno, you are right! I did not notice that :eek:

In this case, I am afraid that this helmet could be a part helmet :?

Philippe

Back