Prussian pickelhaube with newspaper in the liner

asergeant

Hello gents,

This is the first helmet from world war one that I acquired.
A classic prussian pickelhaube, dated 1913. It has a stamp from the IR72.
It also has some newspaper inside, in the back. It's not in excellent condition but I still like it and... it was my first helmet :)

Best regards,
Arnaud

Careful ,You are at risk of being infected by the phenomenon there is no cure for, better known as … the HAUBEVIRUS !!! :wav:

Nice start, a helmet with a history, I like the setup in your last picture. :thumb up:

A great first helmet. In my opinion older than 1913 for 3 reasons......the stitching up the back to join the shell together, the rear spine held on by a domed split brad rather than the usual square brass nut and the thickness of the leather on the rear visor (heavy gauge). I do not know when they stopped stitching OR's helmet shells together but at least by 1895. Does the brass rear spine have a slider vent on it? My guess would be ...no. Very nice!

b.loree said:
A great first helmet. In my opinion older than 1913 for 3 reasons......the stitching up the back to join the shell together, the rear spine held on by a domed split brad rather than the usual square brass nut and the thickness of the leather on the rear visor (heavy gauge). I do not know when they stopped stitching OR's helmet shells together but at least by 1895. Does the brass rear spine have a slider vent on it? My guess would be ...no. Very nice!

I agree with Brian: this seems to be a 1891 model. Look also at the high-domed chinstrap hooks and thick liner leather. Final proof should be the absence of an aerator on the rear spine, but this does not show on the pictures.

Nice first helmet indeed!

You just reminded me that a helmet I'd purchased also had a newspaper in the liner from 1916. I have to copy that for a friend who teaches history in Germany. Another thing on the 'to do' list. Then the paper goes back into the helmet case, or the helmet itself.

Yeah, "No one can collect just one". (For our Non-US friends, that was a potato chip slogan, "No one can eat just one." But don't eat your helmets... ).

:D Ron

Back