Prussian Pioneer officers helmet?

USMC-EOD

Is this a pioneers helmet? Any idea what regiment?

Flat gilt chinscales with silver colored rondels securing the chinscales to the helmet through the cockades.

Nickel silver fittings throughout otherwise. Star bolts to secure spike base are missing and the former owner stuck some "craft" split brads on to hold it in place. Need to find some originals to fix this...

Loose/broken stitching, and the wappen is missing the eagles scepter and the little cross off of the ball.

Not a huge collector of officer's helmets; normally just enlisted, so any assistance is gratefully acknowledged up front. Just trying to figure out what unit this is so I can do a little gentle restoration work.

Bryan.

Attachments

• 20221023_010210.jpg
    20221023_010210.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • 20221023_010227.jpg
    20221023_010227.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Hopefully some of the more knowledgable members here will post, but ---. The spike pins are not officer's, to me it looks more like a senior NCO's helmet, if it is correct. The Reich's cockade appears to me to be an NCO's but hard to tell. Really need better photos, inside and out

In my opinion, those spike pins are not correct at all.

They are most likely old split brad paper fasteners that I often see on helmets, substituted for lost original domed split brads from spike bases.

I was working on trying to buy a neusilber trimmed guard enlisted helmet recently that had a couple of these old split brad paper fasteners as replacements on the spike base. Unfortunately I wasn't able to come to terms with the owner who found it recently from a family near where he lives.

Hopefully some of the more knowledgable members here will post, but ---. The spike pins are not officer's, to me it looks more like a senior NCO's helmet, if it is correct. The Reich's cockade appears to me to be an NCO's but hard to tell. Really need better photos, inside and out

Yes, it could be a senior NCO's helmet, or a One Year Volunteer helmet.

It will be good to see the interior of the helmet to make a better judgement.

Thanks for the replies so far.

And James; thank you for reaching out via the personal message.

So in my original post, I said that the spike base nuts were some kind of "craft split brads", instead of saying "split brad paper fasteners", so I mis-spoke. That is what they are.

I got a little busy today, but I dug around, located and went through Trawnick's excellent book 'Spiked Helmets of Imperial Germany: Volume 1, Infantry Regiments, Pioneer Battalions and General Officers'.

His easy to use book made it fairly simple to use the helmet plate matrix and the colored photo on page 212 so I could match them to Appedix D in the back of his book to figure out the Battalion.

It appears that this helmet is for an officer from one of the following Pioneer Battalions:

2nd, or 4th through 9th. It could be from any one of these seven Pioneer Battalions.

I guess my main goal will be to see if I can locate four good officer's star bolts in neusilber that are missing and do some gentle restoration work to fix the broken stitching on the front and rear brim. It appears I am missing a scale on the left chinstrap as well.

It might be fun to post this while I fix it.

Thanks again for the comments!

Attachments

• 20221024_201234.jpg
    20221024_201234.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 20221024_201249.jpg
    20221024_201249.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 20221024_201302.jpg
    20221024_201302.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Back