Prussian Pioneer reserve officer pickelhaube

blaeu

This week I bought this pickelhaube. It is from an prussian officer of the pioneer reserve. The cross is very clearly to see. The helmet is a little dry and theright sight has a littke dent, but that can be fixed. Inside there is a written name and a very slight stamp mark. The nicest and mayby the most remarkeble is that I have a picture of the owner. the family gave that picture with the helmet. It belonged to captain Johannes Mannhardt of the pioneer reserve, he was an ingenieur and worked later at the railroads. The man was born in 1851. The picture is made in 1908.

I am interested in your opinions

DSC07551.jpg

DSC07552.jpg

DSC07553.jpg

DSC07555.jpg

DSC07556.jpg

DSC07558.jpg

DSC07559.jpg

Sorry I didn't realise that ingenieur is not known in english, it is dutch and french, I should have known., it is an engineer

Very Nice, great to have his name and photo with the helmet. I did a quick look in the 1875 Rank List and there was a Mannhardt serving in Pioneer Battalion Nr.9. Great stuff.

Larmo

hello Larmo, Dor you perhaps have some more information about that Pioneer battalion Nr. 9 ?? I would appreciate that.

Yes, using Imperial German Headgear 1888-1914 Field Guide by Turinetti & O'Conner (Jim Turinetti is a member here) we learn that the Schleswigisches-Holsteinisches Pioneer Batallion Nr.9 was established in 1866. In 1889 it was assigned to the IX Armee Korps (Rendsburg) in 1905 it was assigned to the VII Armee Korps (Deutz) and in 1914 back to the IX Korps this time at Harburg.

Similar information is available on Tony's website www.Kaisersbunker.com

Larmo

PS I looked into the 1869 Rank List for him and he does not appear, so don't know if he served in the Franco-German War of 1870-1871.

Larmo, many thanks for your information. I will share this info with my friends who helped me with this item. The information I have is saying that the man was born in 1851 in rendsburg, that in his reserve time, he worked (and mayby lived) in Hamburg. He was also involved with the care of a house for invalid soldiers from the war. The he was doing the financial business. Great info. that brings the helmet back to life.

Back