Prussian Ring Pommel Sword

SCHUPO

Gents,

I picked up an Imperial Prussian ring pommel sword at a local militaria show over the weekend that I thought I would show. This brass P-guard variation sword was made for mounted officers and has a ring on the top of the pommel. This sword is an interesting variation and it is shown in the pre-WWI WK&C catalog as a, "Cavalry and Artillery Officer's Sword with ring". My sword has a brass hilt with a ring on the pommel along with a black painted scabbard with a single suspension ring. The grip is sharkskin and the blade is nickel plated and is marked, "M. Neumann Hoflieferant Berlin" on the spine of the plain blade.

A scarce variation sword in nice condition.

Attachments

• Prussian ring pommel sword.JPG
    Prussian ring pommel sword.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Prussian ring pommel drag.JPG
    Prussian ring pommel drag.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 23
  • Prussian ring pommel hilt.JPG
    Prussian ring pommel hilt.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 25
  • Prussian ring pommel.JPG
    Prussian ring pommel.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 25
Congrats on a scarce sword that is not seen very often.

The backspine mark is the distributor of the sword, I believe, and not the actual manufacturer.

Is there a maker mark under one of the langets?

Did you pick this up at the Leavenworth, KS show this Friday/Saturday?

Best Wishes,

Alan

Did you pick this up at the Leavenworth, KS show this Friday/Saturday?

Best Wishes,

Alan

The reason I asked if you were at the Leavenworth, KS show is because I was there set up in a very awkward place with one table in the strange "U" shape arrangement against the west wall of the building, with Imperial German items and some pickelhaubes, and a WW1 US 2nd Division Uniform grouping on my table. I wondered if you spoke with me if you were at Leavenworth.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Thank you all for your positive comments.

Yes, I did pick the sword up at the show on Friday. And, I agree that the spine marking is the distributor and not the maker on this particular German Mounted Officer sword. There is no maker indicated on the lightly curved blade but the sword is shown in the WKC catalog. A similar ring pommel sword by WKC is also shown on p.140 of Jack Angolia's, "Swords of Germany 1900-1945" and he comments upon it uniqueness. I have seen Turkish swords with this ring on the pommel and a crescent moon on the front langet but the German variation is scarce IMHO.

Speaking of the WWI Turkish swords I also picked up a nice example of the Turkish Halbmond (roughly equivalent to the Prussian Iron Cross 1st Class) at the show. This award was a German made example by BB&Co. It was a good show for me.

George

Attachments

• Iron Halbmond.JPG
    Iron Halbmond.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Iron Halbmond BB&Co.JPG
    Iron Halbmond BB&Co.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 3
The reason I asked if you were at the Leavenworth, KS show is because I was there set up in a very awkward place with one table in the strange "U" shape arrangement against the west wall of the building, with Imperial German items and some pickelhaubes, and a WW1 US 2nd Division Uniform grouping on my table. I wondered if you spoke with me if you were at Leavenworth.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Alan,

I did talk to you about your spike helmets and belt buckles. I was the old grey haired guy that stopped by a couple of times digging through your stuff. I think we talked about Polizei Pickelhauben among other things. Nice to meet you and I hope you had as good a show as I did.

George

Back