Prussian Seitengewehr S98/05nA & Troddel

RON

Gents,
Which of the following 2 knots would you go for to complete a Prussian-proofed wartime S98/05nA bayonet?
Knot 1:
> Is this a 1. Batt. 1. Ko. Troddel?
> Seller says it is soiled white & the strap is short hence a wartime model... true?
KnotA.jpg

Knot 2:
> Had the slider been red, it would've been a 1. Batt. 2. Ko. Troddel but the slider seems yellow so do you know what it stands for or could it be a faded red slider nevertheless as claimed by the seller?
> Seller says the strap is short like Knot 1 but made of thin cotton rather than wool/not the typical strap material; maybe a repair or replacement?
KnotB.jpg

:wav: :smilebox:

8-[ Just trying to get the attention of the guys with the Troddeln Books :read2:

dpeng :wave:

Ron,

That first one looks all yellow, which would be the 11th company. The short gray strap is wartime.

Forget the second one. :wink:

Chip

Thanks Chip; was hoping you'd jump on this one!

Out of curiosity and for learning purposes; what's wrong with the second one? Is it the strap or the slider or both?

Ron,

It's hard to tell. Perhaps the strap is just rolled and would look fine flat. The picture is so small that it is difficult to see what is really going on. My first impression was that the strap had been replaced, but on second look, it appears that it may just be misshapen.

Regards,
Chip

Just wanted to share with you that great looking 1st Infantry Co. wartime (short pattern gray cloth strap) troddel I finally found the energy to photograph... It is in close to mint condition--despite some age soiling--with its ends still tied with the factory string.
A question though: Since the bayonet I'm displaying it on is a Prussian 1916 S98/05 nAS (Säge/Sawback) version, with no regimental markings, would there be an issue? (1st Inf. Co. knot vs. non regiment-attributed sawback bayo. usually issued to Pioneers)?
Prussian1stBatt1stCoEMSeitengewehrS98-05nAS-1916b.jpg

Prussian1stBatt1stCoEMSeitengewehrS98-05nAS-1916d.jpg

Heer1stBatt1stCoEMSeitengewehrTroddel-WW1a.jpg

Heer1stBatt1stCoEMSeitengewehrTroddel-WW1c.jpg

Bayonets-Prussian1stBatt1stCoEMSeitengewehrS98-05nAS-1916.jpg

Back