Prussian Ulanen M15 EM Tschapka Mortarborad Anyone?

RON

How hard/impossible would it be to find a matching M15 mortarbooard for this beauty, not to mention an authentic mint Prussian EM Feldzeichen, an M15 chinstrap and the Reichs cockade? :-k
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150871634619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the M15 mortarboard, NO WAY. the EM Feldzeichen, maybe, but you might have to flip another piece of headgear to gain that item. The chinstrap and cockade, you know, they come around sometimes. :)

I had one like this for over a decade, finally sold it as I never could find the mortarboard...

There is someone out there that makes repo mortarboards, but that was not for me.

James

Jan Kube told me once that he had not seen a single genuine detachable mortarboard for sale in his whole carreer...
I have one myself, which I keep for the exceptional M15 Tschapka (UR13...) that may never come...
Bruno

I agree with James, putting a repro mortarboard on this one (+ repro feldzeichen etc.) would be like cheating yourself...

Hey Bruno,
I would bid on this one if I were you and give it a decent retirement... What are the odds of finding a good UR13 Tschapka that would be missing its mortarboard? :-k
Besides, that poor thing must've been 'hatless' since it was captured and dismantled during the War Bond push. :cry:

Hello Ronny,
I had five of these Tschapkas with removable tops. I have two left. Now I would only go for something really rare.
I know a dealer who had a topless M15 UR13 lid. Price was totally ridiculous though, even for such a rare piece. I ignore if he still has it...

Bonsoir Bruno,
You guys in the States are lucky... as I said before, God bless (& rest the soul of) whoever came with the War Bond helmets idea...
Whenever you need to get rid of that extra Tschapka, remember I'm always on the lookout for interesting wartime militaria. :wink:

I will, Ronny. Too bad I did not know earlier...
As a reservation regarding the one currently on ebay, you will notice from the inside view that the shell is quite misshaped. These Tschapka shells are very hard and rigid, even on war models, and very difficult to put back in shape...

A bientot, Bruno

If you like the helmet, go for it! The way this goofy hobby is, you don't buy it, you'll go into a store and find a mortar board the next week, you DO buy it, you may never find one, but then you still have the helmet. I'd take the chance of dumb luck and one turning up, if the helmet 'spoke' to me. Also, I wouldn't be against purchasing a replica until an original is found, but then, that's just me (the guy with the replica 6th Kuerassier until an original turned up... now I've two). :)

:D Ron

$ 1200. Interesting. The two M15 Tschapkas I bought earlier on ebay, complete with their removable mortarboard, costed me no more than $ 500 each. It was a while ago though. Well, times they are a changin'...
I wish the new owner is happy.

Wow I sold mine without mortarboard last year on Ebay for around $500 and it was in better shape?

James

Well, as we all agree, this all depends on how bad one wants a 'hatless' Tschapka at the time it is offered. This one is definitely not worth $1,200 even by today's standards. Maybe the buyer had a mortarboard that he badly wanted to 'complete'?

I remember a few months ago a nice and complete M15 Tschapka--it had everything except the proper M15 chinstrap--in similar condition if not better sold for close to $1,800 on eBay...

same comment, I sold one a couple of years ago, without mortarboard for around $700 if I remember well ...

No way to find that kind of spare part, better to buy it complete, I have one in very good condition, and will part with it sooner or later, for a pre-war model, here it is :) :

Salut Stephane!
Your Tschapka is almost as nice as the one that recently sold on eBay that I mentioned! :bravo:

Back