PTK Marked and Matching Comp Grip KS98 Bayonet

seitengewehr98

Well, this is certainly no where near as breathtaking as some of the pickelhauben that I have seen, but in the world of Imperial German Bayonet collecting, it's quite a rare and exciting piece!

It has matching regimental markings P.T.K.415.A. This denotes one of the rarest German Colonial Units, the Polizei Truppe Kamerun, or Police Troop of Cameroon, Africa. This was probably the smallest Imperial German Colonial unit in Africa. But more than that, this example has composition grips, which are found on a VERY small number of KS98 examples. It is the king of the KS98 bayonet series.

A wonderful example of a very rare and interesting bayonet.

Nate

ks98compgripptkmarkedanzo8.jpg

ks98compgripptkmarkedanuj7.jpg

Hi Nate:

I agree with you...and I agree with you again. :D Likewise, I've often been tempted to respond to my own posts when faced with stony reticence. Alas, it goes with the turf.

How long had you been searching for a Kamerun colonial bayonet, and where did you find it?

I'm glad it's not lodged in my ribs.

Chas.

Well, I've been searching for this type of KS98 for quite some time. Essentially since I learned of its existence. This type of issue KS98 bayonet, with the composition grips, has only been found on KS98s in African Colonial Service, at least to my knowledge. As it stands, I only know of examples marked to the Kaiserliche Schutztruppe and the PTK.

But, I'm still looking for bayonets marked Sch.K and Sch.D.O.A, for Schutzptruppe Kamerun and Schutztruppe Deutsches Ostafrika. All Imperial German Colonial Units in Africa seem to have been issued the KS98 series of bayonet, and account for about 70% of regimentally marked examples. There is another rare variant of the KS98 found with wood grips secured by three rivets, and all of the examples that I know of were marked to the Sch.D.O.A. or had their original markings removed.

Additionally, there have also been a small number of 71/84 bayonets marked to the Sch.K and Sch.DOA. I am also looking for bayonets marked to the Ostasiatisches Colonial units.

Anywho, this example came out of a friends collection, and is certainly one of the pride and joys in my small collection.

I also recently found a bayonet that probably is from the Flieger Abteilung Jagdstaffel 11, famously known as the "Flying Circus," and commanded by you know who. It's probably the most interesting of my Regimentally marked bayonets. I'm hoping that one draws a little more interest.

I do hope that I'm not bothering anyone by posting pics of bayonets.

Nate

seitengewehr98 said:
I do hope that I'm not bothering anyone by posting pics of bayonets
Hi Nate:

Not in the least. I, for one, am learning from your efforts. I have only one Imperial bayonet, which was something of an impulse purchase. I'll try to put up some pictures for your opinion by day's end.

I visited the Wehrgeschichtliches Museum, Rastatt in March. The following photographs are from the Colonial exhibit:

100_0716_1.jpg

100_0732_1.jpg

100_0718_1.jpg

100_0717_1.jpg

Chas.

Hi Nate

Please keep them coming. Bayonets are just one other aspect of collecting Imperial German items that I find fascinating. I can think of no other country that produced such a variety or quality of issue edged weapons.

Add to that they are often regimentally marked to boot! Wunderschoen!

Any M1860 Fusilier bayonets coming up? I'm on the search for one to stick on the end of my Fusilier Gewehr.

Larry

Now that is SWEET! Congradulations on finding that one!

I agree with jaegerman, keep those seitengewehr coming!

Hey Chas, how'd ya get a photo of that display case minus any drool?

:D

Excellent piece please keep posting. I also like to learn and I had no knowledge of this unit or the fact that they used composite grips on these bayonets. Brian

Back