Purple visor

USN

Good evening gentlemen,

I came across this piece recently and was wondering if anyone could identify it. It looks like a pretty well made visor, from a tailor peküro. However I cannot find one unit that would have worn purple like this one. What are your thoughts on this?
Also I apologize for the poor photos, these are the sellers and not mine.20220505_175856.jpg
20220505_175827.jpg
20220505_175847.jpg
20220505_175838.jpg

Well, for starters that is a Third Reich and after style sweat shield. Never used prior to 1919.

It's probably real, as no-one would make a copy of a purple cap except Sgt. Pepper. A post 1945 band is actually a possibility, but this is probably not a good investment...

Well, for starters that is a Third Reich and after style sweat shield. Never used prior to 1919.

It's probably real, as no-one would make a copy of a purple cap except Sgt. Pepper. A post 1945 band is actually a possibility, but this is probably not a good investment...
I had no intentions of buying it I was just curious as to what it might be, I'm saving up for the Van Bosstraeten auction at the moment. I however did not know that the plastic sweat shields weren't in existence prior to 1919.

As Tony said, the celluloid/plastic sweat shield is post-imperial and a dead giveaway. So is the cockade (although that could be a replacement of course) - the high, protruding style is a much later type. Most Imperial cockades had a very low profile. The faux watered silk liner was also a 1920's-1930's thing.

If the photos aren't yours, it's possible that between the lighting and camera quality the true color is distorted and could be more of a blue that has suffered from sun or chemical fading/discoloration. Pekuro made a lot of caps like this for veterans organizations between the wars - if that's what it is, it's likely for a former Dragoner officer. If it is legitimately purple, the only thing you know for sure is that it isn't Imperial.

Back