Query re. "Extra Leichter Anfertigung" leather qua

aterrasse

Dear All,

In the course of my various reading about the subject of pickelhauben, I understand that leather used for officier privately purchased helmets could greatly vary in terms of weight and quality. The so called "Extra Leichter Anfertigung" seems to be the finest leather quality available to officers at the time.

Could anyone confirm this point and, if possible, provide a few supporting pictures?

Best wishes

I can not provide pictures, but I did work on a Bavarian officer helmet 2 years ago that was marked "federlichte" ie feather light. I have mentioned this helmet in a previous post. All fittings including the wappen and chinscales were made from very thin brass. The gauge of leather used for the shell was also thinner than normal. So, I can confirm the existance of this extra light type of officer helmet. If anyone has read the book "Fritz" the author who was an artillery OYV mentions how heavy these helmets became when combined with heat and physical exertion. Those of us who live in the Northern climates know that the highest percentage of the body's heat loss originates from the head. Obviously wearing a black laquered helmet on a sunny day would produce a great amount of sweat through the head and face. Brian

Could anyone confirm this point and, if possible, provide a few supporting pictures?
016.jpg

page 16 and 17 of the Neumann catalogue shows you how much it cost extra to have an extra light helmet. We are selling what we have left of these catalogs for less than half price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330192493445&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=014

Back