Question on a Baden Pickelhaube for a reserve officer

awozny1965

Hi,

I just joined and I have a question about a Pickelhaube. Attached are four photos that hopefully help clarify my question. My research showed me that the bandeau should not have written "Mit Gott fuer Fürst und Vaterland" as it is also written on the reserve cross. Mine has it written in both places. Has anyone seen this before? That now makes me second guess myself about the originality of the helmet. The helmet itself looks in good shape, the cockades look original to me and all the hardware inside the helmet looks legit.
Appreciate any answers on this.
Andreas

Attachments

• Baden.jpg
    Baden.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Baden1.jpg
    Baden1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Baden2.jpg
    Baden2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Baden3.jpg
    Baden3.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 36
One out of every two Baden officer Wappens with the Landwehr cross have the motto on the Bandeau. Very normal configuration. There is nothing wrong with that helmet. Very nice.

Furthermore, normally the reserve cross and the Wappen are different materials but in my case both seems to be brass.
One out of every two Baden officer Wappens with the Landwehr cross have the motto on the Bandeau. Very normal configuration. There is nothing wrong with that helmet. Very nice.
Thank you for the quick response.

Usually the cross is in silver colour while the Griffin front plate is brass. Also the cross has the kingdom LWK cross except for one regiment that has the prussian LWK cross.

Usually the cross is in silver colour while the Griffin front plate is brass. Also the cross has the kingdom LWK cross except for one regiment that has the prussian LWK cross.
As I took off the Wappen some time back the pin holding the cross down onto the Wappen is actually silver. That was another thing that got me worried about the originality of the helmet back then

Well, chances are good your Landwehr cross is stamped from brass and silvered. Which is why it not at all unusual to see a brass cross as the silver wash has long faded away to time. On issued Wappen it would be Neusilber. Always.

Back