R122 Württemberger

Grabenmaxx

Hi everyonw,

Some of you maybe saw this helmet on ebay.
It's a bit deformed and missing the cockades but has some nice markings, has been hit by shrapnel and was sold by a family member so put a higher bid on this one.

Anyway, I need other opinion about the markings.
The seller asked his older family members for some more info and according to him the helmet belonged to Eugen Wertsch from the surroundings of Heilbronn and served in Landwehrregiment 122. He was hit but not killed and only died in the 1970's.

In the Verlustlisten however I can't find an entree for this name for getting wounded. Only one where the guy was killed in july 1916. Same name, belonging to füsilier regiment 122.

What do you think? Can it be saif for sure if this helmet belonged to the FR 122 or LwR 122? And what is the big H with that circle?

Attachments

• s-l1200-3.jpg
    s-l1200-3.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 44
  • s-l1200-1.jpg
    s-l1200-1.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 45
  • s-l1200.jpg
    s-l1200.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
seems like his (at least one!) cocade is retained by the splitpens holding the spike....

battle damage items are gruesome and interesting artifacts telling history at the same time... I love it, good score!

Great markings 1 Battalion 2 Company 1901. The oval ink stamping is one I have never seen before. 👍

I didn't know there was a Fusilier Regt with the high number of 122 ?
Landwehr possible ?
Steve

Hi,
Imo the marking is for Füs Rgt 122, Res Inf Rgt would have an RIR marking, and Ldw Inf Rgt would at least have an L.
Regards,
Lars

The seller asked his older family members for some more info and according to him the helmet belonged to Eugen Wertsch from the surroundings of Heilbronn and served in Landwehrregiment 122. He was hit but not killed and only died in the 1970's.
What the descendants say or believe to remember is most of the time unfortunately wrong or mixed up after so much decades...

The LJR22 was formed in the garrison of UIm and has nothing to do with the FR22 which garrison town was Heilbronn.
So for a helmet worn in the LJR22, we would be able to wait a helmet marked to the JR120, 127 or even GR123.

Eugen WERTSCH was in the 1/FR22 and was KIA on the eastern front near Olesza on the 2.7.16. He was burried there, as interestingly documented and drawn in his data sheet in the Kriegsstammrollen (I never saw that before!):

wertsch.jpg

wertsch1.jpg

However, I spent a little of my time to look at all the soldiers of the LJR22 (Companies 1-12) whose names begin with the letter W.
So I was able to find a guy called August WERTSCH from Stuttgart, who was at the 9/LJR22. He was mobilized August 1915 in the Landsturm Rekruten Depot 6, then moved October 1915 to the Ersatz-Bataillon JR126 and finally moved on the 27April 1916 to the 9/LJR122. This unit was at this time in the Verdun area. For some not mentioned reason, he only fought two days, as he already moved on the 29.4.16 to a Lazarett in Stuttgart (Katholisches Gesellenhaus). On the 14.10.16 he left this Reserve Lazarett back to the Ersatz-Bataillon of the LJR122 where he seemed to stay till the end of the war...

wertsch2.jpg
wertsch3.jpg

Philippe

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and special thanks to Philippe for the screenshots of the Kriegsstammrollen! :giggle:
so we may not be a 100% certain who the owner exactly was, but I'm nevertheless very pleased with the helmet. Only unfortunate that it's a bit out of shape due to wrong storage for many years I assume, but don't think there's a way to change that anymore.

I saw this and found the location of the cockades interesting , having just bought a Parade Eagle with a cockade being used as a washer . Nice buy. Rob

Back