Rare Dragoner tschapka

This is a great picture! A hessian Uhlan Tschapka has been on my wish list for a long time.

Look at the fellow sitting in between the two Uhlans. Collar & cuff litzen, D. 23? Might all three be replacements?

These guys would in all likelhood be reserve officers in other cavalry regiments whose mobilization assignments put them into Reserve-Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 4.

The difficulty with the two Ulanen officers is the fact that Hessen had no peacetime Ulanen Regiment and so could have come from who knows where!

Regards
Glenn

Just found the article in Feldgrau I was looking for:

Reserve-Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 4 was formed at mobilization from Leib-Dragoner-Regiment (2. Großherzoglich Hessisches) Nr. 24 and Thüringisches Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 6. It was a component of 25. Reserve-Division.

Regards
Glenn

Here goes my first post!
Drake, I have seen your photos many times on Flickr and my jaw has dropped many times. And in this one, I noticed the inconsistencies mentioned as well as what seems to be written on unit markings. What do you other guys think? Great photo, and thanks for sharing!

All the best from western Afghanistan

I think we may be able to put names to faces here; the following Ulanen.Regiment Nr. 6 Reserve Officers were assigned to R.D.R. 4 at mobilzation. It seems most likely that the two Ulanen Officers are Messrs Traun and Dr. Borchers.

Oberleutnant d.R. Julius Kulenkampff
Leutnant d.R. Richard Heyne
Leutnant d.R. Wilhelm Traun 1./RDR. 4 + 20.10.14
Leutnant d.R. Dr. Jur. Hans Borchers 1./RDR. 4
Leutnant d.R. Maximilian König 2./RDR. 4
Leutnant d.R. Walter Richter 3./RDR. 4
Leutnant d.R. August Dietrich 3./RDR. 4
Offizier-Stellvertreter Hermann Wellensiek (Lt. d.R. 21.9.14) 3./RDR. 4 + 26.7.15

Regards
Glenn

k bandow said:
Here goes my first post!
Drake, I have seen your photos many times on Flickr and my jaw has dropped many times. And in this one, I noticed the inconsistencies mentioned as well as what seems to be written on unit markings. What do you other guys think? Great photo, and thanks for sharing!

All the best from western Afghanistan

Thanks mate. I think Glenn has cleared this one up admirably, interlopers from Leib-Dragoner-Regiment (2. Großherzoglich Hessisches) Nr. 24 and Thüringisches Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 6.

Cheers from the other end of the earth :D Stay safe.

- Brett

Back