rare regiment

pointystuff

It's a rare regiment...but it's a replica that's been aged.
http://cgi.ebay.com/WW1-German-Pickelhaube-Very-Rare-Sm-Reserve-Regiment_W0QQitemZ140281141876QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item140281141876&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting
The price is amazing.
:eek:
Brad

What a disaster! In addition to the shell being an awful copy I am not sure the front plate is authentic either. Look at the one I had posted on the site a few weeks ago for a comparison...
Bruno

It looks like this seller has a nasty habit of putting garbage spike helmets up for sale, and unfortunately people gobble them up over in the UK.

They had another spurious helmet back the end of October, which someone eagerly devoured. Some of you may recall it, as it was talked about back then, under the "reference books" topic on ?October 30th. Here's the link to the eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/V-Rare-Original-WW1-German-Officers-Pickelhaube-Helmet_W0QQitemZ140277114786QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140277114786&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205

The unsuspecting buyer of that piece of garbage even posted good positive feedback for the seller: "excellent,excellent, better than could have asked for. Thanks Doc."

I find this simply amazing!

I guess we should be glad they don't list this rubbish of theirs on eBay USA, right?

Guys,

I think its bad news all the way.

Ardent, interested (albeit misinformed) collectors are an important aspect of the pickelhaube collecting community.

The risk is that the market will be eventually flooded with replicas which may be difficult to distinguish from originals. Confidence and interest in collecting pickelhaubes will collapse, shortly followed by the reduction in market value of your prized collection. I saw a similar trend in Nazi memorabilia some decades back.

So it’s a bit like the current credit crunch in that this will eroded consumer confidence.

newbe said:
// The risk is that the market will be eventually flooded with replicas which may be difficult to distinguish from originals. Confidence and interest in collecting pickelhaubes will collapse, shortly followed by the reduction in market value of your prized collection. I saw a similar trend in Nazi memorabilia some decades back. //.

Have you checked the price of Third Reich items lately? I sold the last my Third Reich collection in 1999 shortly before the so-called 'collapse' and thought I did well. Example: I sold a single-decal Luftwaffe Para helmet for $2000, which was a good price.. Same helmet today, pushing $8K or higher. Third Reich items have exploded in value. And placing a replica Pickelhaube beside an original, is like trying to pass a potato off as an apple. I don't ever see replica Pickelhaubes that will pass an originals to those that are informed and do their research.

Yea, that's worth repeating: I don't ever see replica Pickelhaubes that will pass an originals to those that are informed and do their research.

HI, :D
HAVING READ THE THREAD :) , IT APPEARS THAT NOT ONLY NOVICE COLLECTORS FAIL TO DO THEIR HOMEWORK :( , IT APPEARS THAT BOTH 'CRAPPY' HELMETS WERE ADVERTISED OR ENDED UP ON E-BAY USA :-? , BECAUSE IT WAS AN AMERICAN BUYER THAT 'GOBBLED THEM UP'. :cry:
REGARDS, STEVE LEE (U.K) :)

Hi Corky:

That doesn't appear to be the case. Perusing z.m.boo's feedback indicates he has been buying Canadian regimental cap badges, swords, and miltiaria books.

Perhaps, he should invest some of his funds on a Pickelhaube reference.

Chas.

This seller now has another helmet for sale a steel pickelhaube, which to me due its shape belongs on Oliver Hardy's head than a Prussian solder !!
Steve Lee (ORADOUR)

You are right Steve; this is a well-known fake made in GB, usually bearing a saxon emblem. Characteristic ovoid, high shape and weird spike... Comes in Feldgrau or black lacquer. Your choice.
Bruno

Back