Rare tschapka officer of the Guard with removable top - sold

timp_be

Hello.

I am selling this rare Rgt de Uhlans de la Garde n°2 officer's tschapka, manufactured at the end of the war with a removable top of the model 15 type and unfortunately chinstrap and front trim in "Kriegsmetal" having lost their gilding.

Good general condition, the visor moves a little bit, the bottom of the top has some chips and a little oxidation, the white fabric of the liner lets go and there is a stain of ?? in back.

See photos.

I ask € 2,750 + postage, payment by bank wire or Paypal (fees on your charge).

Thank you & best regards

timp_be

Hello.

Some one who had interrest in the tschapska found that the star was too great.

Can I have your opinion on this?

Thank you & best regards,

timp_be

Compared with other Tschapkas I found in the Net the Star is really larger than others, but I don‘t know if it could be normal for some manufacturers.

Hello,

The Larger size of the star is Normal for these ersatz Guard tschapka officer helmets.

This is very typical. If you look at some older threads on the forum, my statement will be confirmed.

Here is a link to my example: https://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8425&p=55799&hilit=tschapka#p55799

This is approximately the 5th or 6th one of these that I have seen. I believe it is the third one I have seen, however, with the exterior mount system plate on the tschapka. It has the narrow neck for attaching to the base plate receptacle, which is different from the enlisted style mortar boards and mount system.

I saw one of these for sale a few years ago at Wednesday dealer set up night at the Show of Shows, and it was exactly like my example. Weitze had a mint condition one for sale with the smaller base neck on the removable mortar board, just like my example, a few years ago as well.

Again, all of these examples I have seen have used the larger style guard star on the eagle. I have no explanation as to why the Germans did that specifically on these ersatz officer tschapkas with the removable mortar board. It seems to be typical, from my experience.

And as a side note on the link to my thread: I did not "make" the star as I wrote with sarcasm in response to former member Drew Large's attacks about the star. The sarcasm stopped him from further attacking the size of the star. The helmet came from a collector who's father had acquired it back in the 1950's from a retired Army officer here in Iowa, who had a collection of military items from WW1.

Best Regards,

Alan

Very interesting information, Alan! The Garde star is definitively much larger than on the non-ersatz model.
Here is a "regular" GUR2 Tschapka.

L1040542.JPG

That's a beautiful example Bruno, thanks for posting it!

Here's my example along with the ersatz example, showing the differences in the guard star size.

Best Regards,

Alan

Guard Ulan Tschapkas.jpg

Thank you Alan. Great helmets.
Here is GUR3, with the small star again, this one very flat. This helmet belonged to an Uhlan officer who emigrated to the US at the end of WW1. He was first hosted by a family in an Eastern state. When he left, he offered them his Tschapka as a souvenir. I got it straight from the grandson.

L1020916.JPG
GUR2.JPG
GUR3.JPG

Alan,

Fantastic helmet and teaching me something new. I was unsure about the ersatz officers models stars but I am now educated. The only question I have is regarding the white enamel under the "Suum Cuique"motto. Has yours darkened, faded or ?

Thanks,
John

Hello & thank you for your opinions.

Here is another helmet with a big star, coming from the book "Militarische kopfbedeckungen der kaiserzeit" from Reiner Herrmann:

On my star there is no white enamel, it looks that it's the same on Alan's helmet?

Best regards,

timp_be

Yes, I believe the ring area under the cut out gold letters "Suum Cuique" is simply silver metal with no enamel like what we would normally expect to see.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Thank you very much for the confirmation Alan!

Then we can assume that for the Ersatz examples of the Guard Tschapkas, an extremely large guard star, coupled with a non enameled, metal ring under the "Suum Cuique" motto are legitimate wappens for these helmets.

Hello.

Thank you for all the additional information.

New reduction: 2500 €, same conditions.

Best regards,

timp_be

Back