Re: Ersatz helmet made from whire mesh

Could that be the cloth lining on the front and rear visors ?

This was done on some Off and private purchase helmets.

Its harder to be cloth i guess
Its hard to determen what material it is
The circomfence was ones covered with a leather rim but now most is gone from handeling it, at least at the rear of the helmet
Thats why the whire mesh is visible
Jonas

What about the mesh used for fibreglass? That could be a possibility as the manufacturers were directed to keep helmets light. Very often on a Vulkanfibre helmet you can see this exact type of mesh showing though on the surface, especially if worn a bit by an Überzug.

I thougt that the lines you often see on those fibreglass helmets was the result from pressing the fibreglass into a mould to give shape to the helmet
The fibreglass from my helmet is about 1 mm thick as for the whire mesh its roughly 3 to 4 mm thick

I remember bidding on this helmet. I was very curious about it but questioned it's authenticity.
Do you have any history or photos of other helmets manufactured like this one?
Congratulations!

John

In the books from michael baldwin the same helmet is in discusion and even in the past auction of late mr baldwin the same type of helmet was offered in auction i wil try to post the fotos as well as a part of the explanation that was written in the book

Looks like i was the one that outbid you on it

Jonas

I'm glad you got it!
I simply could not find any information on it so I only offered the minimum bid.
I started a thread about this one here: https://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11593
I am delighted that a collector who knew more about these ersatz finally ended up with it.
Now I have the opportunity to "pick your brain" for all of the information I can get on these.

John

I went in on this topic to explain that it could easely be a genuine one i even gave the information from my book
Thats why i went all in on this helmet becose i already knew what was on sale here

Thats why we are here to share information to other collectors who might come acrose one like this in the future

This particilar helmet ended up in belgium, i wonder where the helmet from the auction ended up

Jonas

Very nice helmet Jonas,

I just read about it in my book, I also have the books of Michael Baldwin.
Rare and desirable ersatz helmet.

Congratulations,

Greetings, Coert :bravo:

An interesting and rare variant, Jonas. Congratulations.
Do we know in what year(s) these helmets were produced?

One Ersatz-helmets variation more! =D>

There were so much, it is impossible to classify them perfectly :eek: Lack of leather made the Germans very creative!

Philippe
:)

Well this helmet is one that wil be helpful in the future should another collector find a similar helmet now they can compaire and be sure of it that it is an original one

Thanks guys for the nice comments

Jonas

A very rare and great looking helmet. Congratulations Jonas!

As a side note I found one of these in rough condition a few years back, but unfortunately I sold it.

Best Regards,

Alan

There is very little known on this type of helmet fortunatley it is documented in the books ,thats the best part of it

Jonas

What is that reference book that you show ?
Done in French ?
I don't think that I have seen it ?
current or older book ?
Thanks
Steve

Back