Re-examining M1895 Wappen Loops.

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Here is something that I hope some of you will find interesting. It is generally accepted that for issued helmets in 1895, in combination with the rear spine vent (for foot troops) and additional spike neck ventilation holes, the soldered bolt and nut system used to secure the front plate onto the helmet was changed to a soldered loop that passed through corresponding holes on the front of the helmet. A leather wedge was then passed through the loop on the interior to keep the plate in place.

Fair enough. What I am proposing, is that this heuristic applies only to Preußen helmets.

My hypothesis, is that the loops and leather wedge system for retaining Wappen on the front of helmets was used as far back as 1845 for Bayern (Bavarian) helmets and 1867 for Sachsen (Saxon) helmets.

Discussion:

Case 1. I have now seen three issued examples of the rare Sachsen (Saxon) Garde Reiter helmets worn from 1867 to 1876. All three have thin horizontal slits cut into the front of the skull to accommodate loops for the Wappen.

dbh50k.jpg

This loops system is also used to retain other parts of the helmet together, such as the wool Raupe as shown here on the bottom of the rear visor in the photo below. Reservist1's was kind enough to share that his example is dated 1873.

dbh50m.jpg

Case 2. Sachsen (Saxon) issued Tschako also have thin horizontal slits cut into the front of the skull to accommodate loops for the Wappen. This example Model 1867/1873 Sachsen (Saxon) Train Mannschaften Tschako below is dated 1874 and clearly it has only had loops through the two front slits in the felt.

dbh45h.jpg

Case 3. Bayern (Bavarian) Wappen on the M1845 Raupenhelme are held onto the front of the body with loops and leather wedges. Below is a photo of an M1845 Raupenhelme for Mannschaten der Karabinierkompanien which I am using here for educational purposes only from the superb reference: Seibold, W. & Schulz, M. (1999) Die Helme der Königlich Bayerischen Armee 1806 - 1918. Bayerischer Militar Verlag - Gerd M. Schulz, Gröbenzell.

M1845.jpg

Case 4. Loops were also the standard attachment method for the Wappen on the M1868 Raupenhelme.

M1868.jpg

Conclusions:

So to summarize: References that claim the Preußens came up with a "new and novel" method of attaching the eagle Wappens to issued helmets in 1895 are incorrect. It appears that this loop system was in use by Bayern as far back as 1845 and by Sachsen as far back as 1867. What happened in 1895, is that the Preußens only adopted a proven method of attachment that had been in use for many years by at least two other Kingdoms.

Tony- very interesting, I will have to go check some of my older lids, especially my Raupenhelm

James

Tony,
This is the type of detective work that helps us all as collectors. It is a great addition to the knowledge-base being built here.
My hat's off to you!

Tony,

A very interesting and thought provoking thread. Now I am thinking if Sachen and Bayern were using this method as far back as the dates show, why did they not carry this on with all enlisted helmets? Or did they?

Could this have been a maker's thing, as opposed to a Kingdom wide acceptance? Was it that it was cheaper to produce this sort of fitting?

The obvious thing that come to mind for this type of attachment is that it is far easier to remove the wappen for cleaning purposes and ease of construction.

My question then on this subject is ... Why was this type of attachment not adopted universally prior to 1895?

Back