Real or Fake?

richesz28

I'm fairly new at collecting and am trying to get a feel for what's real vs. fake. This was recently on ebay and I'm guessing fake on this one. Any opinions?

Thanks.

dsc08707c.jpg

The shape of the spike is a very fast way to spot most of the fakes,
Best
Gsu

The spike on this one is typical of cheap knock offs from India. I usually look at the spike shape, liner, leather appearance (some fakes have the leather wrong side out). If you've got the helmet in your hands, another good way is smell. They'll smell like old leather. Even the metalhelm have an old smell to them.

It's a good idea to find a museum with examples or reference books with good photos and go from there. Also, look at the originals posted on this forum and members' web sites.

Welcome to the forum! And... don't be afraid to ask questions.

:D Ron

Hey Ron, I would not rely on the smell, I have encountered modern items with the "real" smell, and originals that had no "old" odor.
Best
Gus

Gustaf said:
Hey Ron, I would not rely on the smell, I have encountered modern items with the "real" smell, and originals that had no "old" odor.
Best
Gus

Well, I'll still give a helmet a 'sniff'! :) The thing is the originals don't have a 'new' odor either, like fresh leather shoes do; even the best repros have that smell. Just my two cents.
Of course, this one in the photo probably smells like it was under salt water for a day or so, then thrown into a musty basement. :-?

Something else we haven't mentioned is the blued Kurassier style shell and JzP fittings... of course, that Bengal Lance spike is a dead give away.

:D Ron

Back