Rear Visor Holes

dosty

Hello – Over the years, I’ve seen at two or three pickelhauben with holes in the rear visors. The story is that the owners used the holes to hang the haube on a wall after the war. Does that make sense as a likely reason?
visor holes.jpg

Yes it was relatively common, you'll find photos from just after the war of a type of victory pyramid covered in hundreds of haubes that were hung like this

Yes, I am owning two or three like this.
They were brought back trophies by french or british soldiers and nailed this way to a wall or over a fireplace in their home als souvenirs of the war an the victory against imperial Germany.

Philippe
:wink:

I've been in some VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) Post that had helmets nailed to the wall through the rear visors.

USN said:
Yes it was relatively common, you'll find photos from just after the war of a type of victory pyramid covered in hundreds of haubes that were hung like this

Nailing holes are quite common both on helmets as well as loose wappen.

In regards to the Victory helmet pyramid, the helmets where actually held on to the pyramid by wires running across a row of helmets.

I have a extremely large original Press release picture of the pyramid that clearly shows the wire holding them.

Back