Regimental stein from the 2nd Bavarian Jaeger Bn.

I thought it would be interesting to show some of the more unusual regimental stein shapes. The following is from the 1st company, 2nd Bavarian Jaeger Bn. The owner was Gefreiter Baum who served from 1908 - 1910. This style stein is referred to as the tree trunk. As you can see the handle is shaped and colored like a tree branch. The photograph on the front is the company commander, Hauptman Hugo Bauerschmidt.
When photographs are incorporated into the stein decor they are generally the unit or regimental commander. Steins with a photograph of the owner exist but are uncommon. The thumblift is a stag head with a target centered in the antlers. This was a popular thumblift on jaeger steins. Also of interest is the roster which lists 17 one year volunteers.

Reservist1

Wow...I have never seen anything like that!! The tree trunk motif makes so much sense for a Jaeger Batt stein. Exceptional !! Brian

reservist1 said:
The owner was Gefreiter Baum
Lance Corporal Tree to you Anglophones. À propos, n'est-ce pas?

Placing the Tschako on an antler base is an inspired touch. Beautiful!

Chas.

Just arrived today. Looks like something on your superb Stein of yours R1. :love10:

BJB2.jpg

R1,
Do you use Gary Kirshner's auction? He has one ending on November 11 and I am planning on bidding on three steins. I have bought from him before but I know little about steins. John Harrell taught me what little I know at old SCI meetings. :eek: :eek: Clearly some of the steins you have shown are out of my price range but are sure fun to look at!

Do you use Gary Kirshner's auction?

Hi Joe: I do use Kirsner's auction. If you e-mail the lot nmbers you are interested in and I will give you my thoughts. A word of warning, regimental steins can be addictive. I was going to buy just one to compliment my helmet collection, now I have a house full.

R1

reservist1,

You truely have some outstanding pieces. Every good imperial German militaria collector has to have at least one of these in the house. The porcelain steins are beautiful, but you just can't match the crockery steins for vivid colors. I have five or six steins and always wanted more just because they are so nice to look at. My favorite is a crockery MG stein (it's pictured in Dolf Goldsmith's book).

Chip

Tony,

That's a nice strap. What color is the backing material? That company button looks like a painted brass one. Or is it steel?

Chip

Chip Minx said:
What color is the backing material? That company button looks like a painted brass one. Or is it steel?

Light grey, its off of a Mantel (greatcoat). The button is severely tarnished brass. Looks painted though doesn't it? I was pretty pleased to find this one. \:D/ T

Tony,

I could be wrong, but I think this is a 1907-10 pattern button for the Feldgrau tunics. Besides, I don't think that they wore company buttons on overcoats?

Chip

Chip Minx said:
I could be wrong, but I think this is a 1907-10 pattern button for the Feldgrau tunics. Besides, I don't think that they wore company buttons on overcoats?
You are correct, I just ignored it as that is the way it came, probably stuck on there by the previous owner. Through the magic of new photos with the same file name, volia! The offending button is gone. :grommit:

I'm waiting for R1 to post a photo of his Bayern Jäger Tschako which no doubt sits beside that amazing Stein..........

Back