REGIMENTAL STEIN

Foxdoublegunner

Gentlemen,
Is this stein a repro or an actual stein from the 111th IR? I don't see much detail on the face of the soldier and I can't make out the lithograph.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REGIMENTAL-STEIN-FROM-3RD-BADEN-INFANTRY-REGIMENT-111-RASTATT-1895-7-YEARS-/191465498560?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c943ba7c0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you,
Ricardo

One guide can be that tapered barrels are repro but true cylinders are original - just a rule of thumb and not absolute. I like the colour , and the casting line at the back of the head.
But the photos are un-sharp or lo-res. And at the current price ($425) I would have to see more before bidding.

Still, and attractive example

It looks OK to me Ricardo, since there are 5 days left on the auction, perhaps the seller will provide a better photo of the lithopane. I looked at the images of the way the top and top support fits around the handle, no sign of a loose fit, or a re-solder job that I can see from the photos. The seller has over 7800 positive feedback and there is a 14 day return, so you're fairly bullet-proof there I think, but it's top money for a regular infantry one plus the shipping imo. I looked on their other auctions, they have quite a herd of these up for grabs at present, the 19th Pioneer stein isn't priced too bad for that type of a unit. These old steins are great old things, I love'em, have a few myself....Good Luck on the search. :thumb up:

Larry

Larry,
Thank you for your insight. Yes, the price seems pretty high but I am very new to this. From what I have read, original unmessed with regimental steins tend to be a bit pricey. The lithograph concerns me as I can not make out the detail. The one factor that has my interest is that it is from the same unit as my marked pickelhaube and P08. If I am going to buy something like this I would ideally like to have an example from the same unit as my other items. I will ask for more pictures and perhaps ask if he is willing to accept a "best offer".

Regards,
Ricardo

Glad it was of some help Ricardo, Ebeeby is also quite correct in the tapered body barrel being a tell-tale sign of a new production stein, also a big no-no is the infamous "naked lady" lithopanes seen in some modern steins. I completely understand the "batching" of artifacts to one regiment, I do the same with the 100th Saxon :D . Happy New Year!

Larry

Larry,
The stein arrived this weekend and it is in very good shape with vivid colors and clear writing. There is a lot of hand painted detail to the scenes and the pewter lid is very heavy. It turns out that the lithopane is on two deer by a stream and in front of a large rock- Quite unusual, very detailed and interesting. It sure beats the ones of a couple dancing , sitting by a table drinking beer or some old Prussian monarch. This is the first one that I have ever handled and now I know why the originals are popular with collectors.
If anyone is looking for god quality Regimental Steins, i highly recommend this seller. He is honest and accurate in his descriptions and has been collecting regimentals for quite a long time. He may not be the cheapest but I don't think that buyers will be disappointed.

Regards,
Ricardo

Back