Reinhold Nestmann

In this case, the stamp in the booklet shows that Reinhold definitely served in the 8th Leib-Grenadier (1st Brandenburg) Regiment (stamp rotated and enlarged below).

Also I noticed that this portrait was also taken at a photography studio at 13 Regierungsstrasse in Frankfurt an der Oder like the ones in this thread, but at the time this photo was taken, the studio was being run by a Paul Krabo. I have located him in a 1902 Germany-wide business directory as one of several photographers in Frankfurt, but I suspect this photo was taken a decade or so earlier, given the dates of duty in the Reserve Book.View attachment 1

Finally, a photo of Reinhold around 1911 in a Post Office issued ID card:View attachment 1

And the front and back of the post card he received in March 1918 (at age 50!) ordering him to report for military duty in April.

I have the originals of both of these as well.

Nick

Reinhold Ernst Nestmann
Born 29 April 1867
Married with one son and one daughter.

Hi Nick,

From what I think I can read in the documents you attached, the postcard received in March 1918 orders for military duty Erich Nestmann (not Reinhold Ernst Nestmann) living with his parents (bei Eltern) at an address which I cannot decypher (maybe Helmholtz Strasse Nr. 11?). Could it be the son (who is mentioned in the Reserve book) of Reinhold Ernst Nestmann?

It is wonderful to have such detailed documentation of parents who lived over 100 years ago.

Kind regards

Roland

Gustaf said:
Married with one son and one daughter.
Yes, one son and one daughter is correct. My question is timing of these entries. Based on the different inks, I believe he was married with one son when this book was initially filled out, which according to page 4 (image earlier in this thread) appears to be February 1890. The entry for the daughter seems to have been made later, similar to the updated entries for “Stand oder Gewerbe” (I believe this is Trade or Occupation?). The final entry for occupation appears to be “Werkmeister”, which is consistent with the entry on the cover of his 1911 Postausweiskarte. I should have posted that image as well last night. Here it is:

desny said:
From what I think I can read in the documents you attached, the postcard received in March 1918 orders for military duty Erich Nestmann (not Reinhold Ernst Nestmann) living with his parents (bei Eltern) at an address which I cannot decypher (maybe Helmholtz Strasse Nr. 11?). Could it be the son (who is mentioned in the Reserve book) of Reinhold Ernst Nestmann?
Roland, thank you for that insight. This is the benefit of a new set of neutral, unbiased eyes looking at something that I have spent too much time staring at! I had managed to convince myself that the card was addressed to Ernst Nestmann, but Erich living with parents makes much more sense. Reinhold’s son was indeed named Erich (my mother’s Onkel Erich). Reinhold’s Postausweiskarte also confirms the address you deciphered as Helmholzstrasse 11 in Charlottenburg, Berlin.

But again, answers generate more questions. My mother has told me that Erich Nestmann was born in 1900, so receiving that postcard when he was 18 makes sense (although I thought the Imperial German Army was drafting men younger than 18 so late in the war). The disconnect comes from Reinhold’s Reserve book where it appears he already had a son in 1890 (assuming I’m interpreting the dating of the entry correctly). As far as we know, Erich was Reinhold’s only son, and Reinhold’s only daughter (my maternal grandmother) was born in 1903.

Any thoughts on all this before I get back on the phone to my mother with yet another battery of questions on events from over a 100 years ago?

Thanks as always,
Nick

As a footnote, Königshütte Oberschlesien (where Reinhold was born) is now Chorzów in Poland.

Back