Remember this one?

joerookery

bavaria.jpg

In the old forum we had a long discussion about this baby. It sort of looked like a Bavarian wappen. We researched and scratched our heads and never did figure out where it came from. It is a modern device that is attached to the top of a box of cookies. Kaiser Bill once scolded me to always check the back of a wappen. No exceptions.

And I saw a Pickelhaube this last week in one of the USA's best collections of Imperial German Police and other Civil helmets in CA with this exact Wappen. I also remembered that old thread and commented on the helmet to my friend. As I had originally said, Saxon customs. Not Bayern. But it is really interesting that a copy of this same Wappen is sold on a box of cookies?

I should clarify that what I saw this last week, was a full size Wappen on that helmet. I assume this is a smaller cast something-or-other?

Check this out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/German-Veterans-Parade-Flag-WW-I-and-Franco-Prussian_W0QQitemZ6570356683QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Item # 6570356683

John, sorry, I do not get the connection? That flag is Bayern. The actual Sachsen state Wappen also has two lions holding a center shield. Veeeery similar. All we see on the Pickelhaubes is the center of the Wappen. Towns and districts had their own center Wappens superimposed on the double lion Sachsen state Wappen which is what I thought this thing was. At least, in full size when it is not on a box of cookies!

No direct connection Tony.

I just thought the Bavarian Lion Wappen place holders looked very similiar to the cookie badge.

It was just another example of how similiar some of these badges can look at a cursorary glance.

John

Back