Renaissance Wax

Rod

I am a new guy on here waiting for the mail for his very first pickelhaube!!

I just purchased my first pickelhaube from Age of Kings who have treated me absolutely first rate!!!

The pickelhaube is stated as from the original owner family. Even has pics of the original owner.

As a modest collector of medals I feel very confident with my purchase into the Imperial period based on the comments I have read on this and other forums about Age of Kings.

But I dearly need some advice.

I have a great respect for renaissance wax.

Question: If you obtained an original and completely uncleaned pickelhaube.... would you consider cleaning the shell and metal accountraments with Ren wax.. or would you just leave well enough alone????

I could care less about resale value. I buy what pleases me and this pickelhaube "talkes" to me.

Perhaps I have read too much about conservation of items even to the point of being paranoid.

I know this this a dumb listing, but I am competely at "sea" in this area of militaria collecting.

Please respond.

Rod

Rod,
Welcome and you are doing the right thing by asking.
THE Guru is Brian the host of this site. When he comes on you will get some good advice. Tony,Chas,R1 and many others can also guide you wisely. Not me I don't fix much. Your type of question is why many people join us. We would LOVE to see your haube when it arrives. :) YOu have probably done well pilgrim!

Hello Rod: The following link is to an article on helmet conservation

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/preservation/index.htm

The article contains some very good information and recommendations on cleaning and preserving spike helmets.

Reservist1

Welcome, Unfortunately, I have never heard of the product called Renaisance Wax so I can not comment. I have used all of the various products and techniques described on Tonys' web site and more. His article is first rate. What specific problems does your first helmet have, just cleaning? Brian

Hello Brian,

Guess I am getting over excited about my first pickelhaube.

Tony has been an absolute gem in getting me straightened out on my first purchase.

I am all over the board with it. ha ha

I am proceeding cautiously with it. Geeeesh I won't even have it until the end of this week.!!!!!

Remy tells me it is direct from the original family of the original owner with photos!!.

Guess I am being overly concerned but I am planning to keep it in original condition. I should tell you that I have purchased two (2) pickelhaubens from another dealer and returned both of them. I am not looking for perfection, just solid items.

I keep thinking the ren wax I have used to protect the medals that I have bought in the past would be an excellent way to preserve the Bavarian pickelhaube that is in transist would be a good choice especially to safeguard the stitching.

Please excuse my enthusiasim (and spelling). (I hope you can remember your first pickelhaube purchase.)

Please bear with me.

Rod

Rod: I also use Ren. Wax on medals. I have tried Ren. Wax on helmet bodies and do not recommend it. I prefer neutral shoe polish sparingly rubbed into the surfaces.

Reservist1

Hi Rod:
I have no knowledge of Ren Wax but I would recommend that you stick to the products and procedures outlined in Tonys' article. On helmet shells, if I poish them I use Kiwi Parade Gloss black shoe polish. Congratulations, on your first helmet and again, welcome to the forum! Brian

Rod said:
would you consider cleaning the shell and metal accountraments with Ren wax..

Hi Rod. Are you considering waxing the fittings? Please do not do that. Fittings should not be "treated" with anything but a control of humidity and light exposure.

There was a book put out years ago by a Eric Johansson, and this author gave the most incredibly stupid "advice" I have ever encountered; that being to "clean fittings to a bright luster and then to varnish them". Countless helmets were ruined as a result of people following this stupidity.

Please post your big purchase here when it arrives, I have already seen it, I am sure the other guys here would add some positive comments as well. T

Hi Tony,

Yes, the thought of waxing the metal parts has gone through my mind but I would have asked first. You are reading my mind!! ha ha.

Thanks again,

Rod

Gee maybe I should keep my mouth shut and just try to glean information..... BUT that is not in my nature!!! ha ha

My haube is Bavarian which does not seem to get much press compared to the Prussian ones.

My wappen is rather large and has the the laural leaves at the foot of the lions.

I am curious as to its rarity and would like others to show their items.

Mine is far from mint but frankly I like the salty look. Every time I see a mint one I get more and more suspecious. Guess I am paranoid (sp)??

I could care less about its monetary value. People should collect what they like and what makes them happy.

The Prussian eagles are beautiful and that is great..... but others were sure involved in the creation of a unitiified Germany.

PLease comment!!!

Rod

Hello Rod: Can you post photos of your helmet? It would be much easier to comment on the piece if we could see some images.

This is a Bavarian private purchase enlisted helmet that could have been from the 1st Schwere Reiter Regiment or the 2nd, 4th, 6th or 8th Chevauleger regiment.

bavchevemdq8.jpg

This one is a Bavarian officer's helmet that could have been from the 2nd Schwere Reiter regiment or the 1st, 3rd, 5th or 7th Chevauleger regiment.

bavchevowq2.jpg

Reservist1

Would love to see more pictures, Bavarian helmets are my favorite!

I saw this one listed on thier site, looks like a very nice helmet.

They are top notch guy's to deal with

James

Rod congratts on the haube. I like your mantra on collecting .
Pics and some history would be nice .As mny haubes I see here are not attributable to individuals. nice to see that type stuff.
my opinion
Mark

I am trying to get decent pics to post but so far "no soap"! I will keep trying.... I am sure many of you have seen it on Remy's site.

It is stated as coming from the 4th Bavarian Inf. Regt. Tony has already told me it is pre 1914 who also observed the wappen is HUGE.

The picture post card that came with it from Lt. Buhler is dated 1910.

I guess my question at this point is ... in terms of numbers, how common are the Bavarian haubes? Seems like I do not see them very often.

You can tell that I am new to all of this so please bear with me. Perhaps I should continue to find out more about it before I attempt to post anything.

Rod

Perhaps I should continue to find out more about it before I attempt to post anything.
why? -- post away! Everyone's comments and questions lead to your own personal research. So they are all good.

I guess my question at this point is ... in terms of numbers, how common are the Bavarian haubes?

This really is sort of a trick question, though it is not meant as such. There is only one reference book that tackles this subject at all http://www.pickelhauben.net/books/LeRepertoire.htm

The problem or trick is relatively nefarious. There are many different styles and models of Bavarian helmets. The reference above lumps officers helmets into one category. But as you have noticed on yours, there is already a difference in the kinds of wappen. There are other differences also. Laine does not make any effort at all to count the reserve and landwehr helmets. Counting regiments alone does not begin to do the trick. Despite repeated attempts, I am unable to tell you which units wore, which helmet plates when it comes to reserve and landwehr units. Bavarian is easier and having a named helmet will vastly enhance your ability to track its scarcity.

14% of infantry regiments and 11% of infantry authorization were Bavarian. However, relying on these or any other numbers are loaded with traps.
Officers were also posted to the minor kingdom armies and into the Prussian army without having their commission transferred. Interestingly the transferred officer wore the uniform of the officer corps to which he was attached. Records from Wurttemberg show that 1914, 6 generals, 24 staff officers, 28 captains, and 20 lieutenants were posted from Wurttemberg to Prussia. Likewise three general's 15 staff officers, 19 captains were posted from Prussia to the Wurttemberg army. There was actually something called the Bebenhausener Konvention which guaranteed equal promotion possibilities for officers from the Wurttemberg army and the Prussian army.
Kitchen pg 13-15.

Back