Repro chinstraps - Sources ?

Steve Nick

I'm looking to source a couple of brass fittings M91 Enlisted Ranks Chinstraps. I'd like them to be as close to the originals as possible: dyed only on the exterior and hand stitched.

I've been looking around on the web and there are several sources and prices range from $20 to $55 U.S.

Can anyone recommend a good reputable source?

Steve

You might try czprg on Ebay.
They make a pretty realistic chinstrap. Their metal fittings are thicker than the usual thin fake.
I do have a line on another dealer, but let me check first and see if he is still in business.
He makes the leather strap only and uses original brass or steel hardware.

John :)

John:

Thanks for that info.

The second option using original hardware sounds like the best compromise between all original and reproduction.

Steve

You could also checkout luckyline1945 on ebay.
I bought some repro chinstraps from him which look good. Even the hardware, though new looks good.

Greetings, Coert :)

I have bought a couple of chinstraps from eBay seller Luckyline1945 as well. The ones he uses in his photos look a bit "aged" or used, and the photos are "deceiving" I believe as to what you actually get. The ones you get will look absolutely brand new with the leather and the fittings. The ones he shows in his ads on eBay, either a black or a brown strap, with gray metal fittings, makes it look like he's using actual original gray metal buckles and end attachment loops with worn gray finish to the fittings. That's not the case with what you'll get in the mail. The gray metal fittings will look absolutely brand new, and they don't have a "gray pewter" finish on them. :( The type you will get has shiny white metal with no gray finish on them, not at all like what they appear to be in the photos on his eBay listings.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-GERMAN-M17-M18-HELMET-LINER-LEATHER-CHINSTRAP-BROWN/312227748956?hash=item48b2395c5c:g:LX0AAOSwEONcK5-M

Be prepared also that they are absolutely "Huge" in size, way too big for both of the helmets I tried to use them on. If you want to use them on a helmet, you'll probably have to cut/shorten one end and re-stitch it to make it fit correctly on the front visor of your helmet.

Best Regards,

Alan

You are right about that Alan, in both cases. I left mine in the garden for a while and shortened it, because it wouldnt fit the Tschako I bought
it for, bought 3 others too as spares for future helmets. 2 black and 2 brown ones. :)

I was making my own using original fittings and new leather. I appears that some folks had gotten wise to this and the buckles are getting hard to find at a reasonable price.

Actually, if I had the required brass hardware I would make my own.

As a hockey goalie for many years I've got the equipment to do the necessary leather cutting and stitching.

ww1czechlegion said:
I have bought a couple of chinstraps from eBay seller Luckyline1945 as well.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-GERMAN-M17-M18-HELMET-LINER-LEATHER-CHINSTRAP-BROWN/312227748956?hash=item48b2395c5c:g:LX0AAOSwEONcK5-M

Best Regards,

Alan

Alan:

Thanks for that link. I had a look and they look pretty good. If I have to shorten them a bit that's not a big deal.

Cheers:

Steve

Back